Tubeless wheels for my 1978 GS 750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tubeless wheels for my 1978 GS 750

I'm thinking of looking for 17" wheels to be able to go with a choice of tires. I'm in the process of changing front ends to go to dual discs, and after I finish burning up my Conti K112/RB2 pair, I would like to go tubeless. I also wondered if radials would be a good change to make. I use my 750 as a sport-tourer. Any advice what year wheels might make this possible? Any other advice on this would be greatly appreciated!
    1979 GS 1000

JK, Depending on what fork changes you are making, you could go to 17 inchers and radials. That is, if you are converting to a GSX fork set and a wider swing arm. If not, I don't think there are any radial choices for original narrow rims. You can go tubless with the original rims. Earl had a very good thread going that describes what he did and I have followed his advice and am very happy at the results. While the narrow tires and rims don't provide the same performance as the newer radials, the newer bias ply tires are far better than the tires of the 70's and 80's. There are several threads that talk to the choices for new tires with varying opinions, I am using Lazertecs, though there may be a mileage penalty, I like them so far. Good luck with your project, I know with a little searching here you will find all the help you need. Ray
    "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
    GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
    1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
    1979 GS1000SN The new hope
    1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

The "78" & "79" GS 750 "E" models had 17" rear cast wheels, that should bolt right on I don't know if they had "TUBELESS" stamped on them or not, & some people don't want to use tubeless tires on any wheel that doesn't have tubeless stamped on them. Personally I've used tubeless tires on any cast GS wheels weather stamped tubeless or not, & never had nor known anyone who has any problems by doing this. As far as a "17" front, I don't have a clue. I do know the GS 1150's have 16" fronts & 17" rears
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

wheels

stock alum.cast wheels from 78/79 gs1000 are tubeless,I would start here first.My 78 has dual disc and a 79 I use for parts has single disc front.

Comment

Working...
        X