Winter storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter storage

Well now that old man winter is knocking on my door :x ,time for storage. My question is ,I am getting my carbs back from the shop soon for my GS1100E. Now, while the bike is sitting this winter,would it be better to not hook up the fuel lines and just to crank the motor weekly? My concern was that if I do hook up the fuel but don't really run the bike long that I could be getting set up for carb problems(dirty carbs,jets,varnish,etc.) come spring. I do keep the battery on an automatic charger and do spend time with both of my Suzi's weekly(at least)
    Thanks, Doug
    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
    2000 Kawasaki Concours
    Please wear ATGATT

you can hook up the lines and fill the tank with fresh gas mixed with "stabil", wich is a fuel stabilizer that keeps the gas from going bad, and run the bike on a regular schedule. (IE: ride it!!!)

you can leave the lines unhooked, fog the cylenders with a fogging product or wd-40, change the oil and filters, drain and air out the fuel tank, and remove the battery and put it on a battery maintaner or low rate charger plugged into a timer set to turn on the charger for a few minutes a day.

Stabil is a very good product, I have seen a rotory tiller that was stored for two years with stabil in the tank, start up on the first pull of the pull starter, great stuff, I use it in all my seasonal engines.

Comment

You don't want to run the engine over the winter if you can help it. Unless the bike is actually being ridden for 15 minutes or more you never get the motor hot enough to boil off the condensation that forms in the cases and exhaust when the bike runs cold. If it's not been running lately, you might be better to leave the carbs off 'til spring. Anyway, fill the tank with fresh fuel and add the appropriate amount of fuel stabilizer. The best storage drill is to fill/stabilize the fuel, wash the bike, take for a 30 minute ride to dry it off inside and out, change the oil and filter while still hot, run for one minute with the new oil/filter while still warm, then follow the instructions for using fogging oil (or pull the plugs to put a tablespoon of clean engine oil in each cylinder - then turn the engine over a couple of times by turning the rear wheel - replace plugs). Top off the tank with stabilized fuel. Take out the battery, charge it monthly or use a float charger [not a trickle charger]). Don't start the bike until spring! Running the bike occasionally while in storage is bad! It'll rot your exhaust system. An owners manual, Clymers manual, or similar will include storage instructions.

Comment

Here's my two cents worth. Before storage, I change the oil and filter, preferably when hot. I drain the float bowls and tank. The tank is coated with Red-Kote, so I'm not worried about condensation. Since my bike has a kick starter, I kick it over once and a while. I also pull the battery and throw it on a Battery Tender once and a while. The bike is stored in a garage which is part of the house. 8)
        Kevin
        E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
        "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
        Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Yes I agree, don't run unless you intend to ride. I fill my tank to the brim and add Stabil and then run it for 20 minutes or so to make sure the treated gas gets into the carbs. I also remove the battery, fully charge it and then I store in a warm place. I charge it again in the spring before reinstalling it. I also change the oil and oil filter. Don't forget to put a cover over your bike also so it doesn't get all dusty!
          GY

Comment

This is bit off subject but I pulled the seat off mine and put it in a corner of a closet.
            Figured the wide temperature range swings it would experience in the garage would be hard on the vinyl.

Comment

Working...
            X