Source for Seat Foam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Source for Seat Foam?

I'm getting ready to rebuild the tired old seat on my '83 GS850G. I'll be ordering up a new seat cover shortly from B&H http://motorcycleseatcovers.com/ in a nice basketweave texture vinyl. Should be sharp.

However, the old seat foam is worn out. Sacked, flattened, and kaput. It's all there and undamaged, but after very few minutes, my hip bones are resting on the metal seat pan. And that ain't too comfy. I need to sculpt a new front section for my seat -- I don't want to change the shape, but I do need to renew the foam with something more dense.

I'm thinking the best approach would be to shave off the top layer of the old foam to preserve the correct profile, then replace everything belowwith new high density foam.

Does anyone know anything about the type or density of the foam needed and where I can find it?

I've seen mentions of using layers of foam rebond, as used in carpet padding. This is easily available and is firm enough.

The blocks of foam I can find locally are intended for couch cushions and are way too soft. I've also considered buying a couple of those foam stadium seats and using the firm closed cell latex foam. However, that stuff supposedly deteriorates too quickly.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

You might want to give these guys a call: http://www.sargentcycle.com/ they might be willing to sell you some foam. Here's a link to what they use: http://www.sargentcycle.com/csroadcom.htm#Super%20Cell

And a few more links...

http://mayercycle.homestead.com/Foam.html
    http://motorcyclistonline.com/howto/seatcut/

Good luck.

Comment

Well, here's what I know. Guys on the ZZR forum have gone to a local upholsterer (?) and had custom seats made/modified. I've not locally found anyone - well I haven't looked yet - but I'm sure that would be a good source. I did call 1 place over a year ago when I was going to have my GS seat done, but then Earl helped me tremendously with my GS seat. I then just did it myself.

This would be an awesome Step by Step for the GS Garage. Or is there one already?

Comment

The Super Cell Atomic Foam from Sargent is very nice stuff. They'll sell it to you for $20 a square foot. It's about 1 5/8" thick and they use it for the top layer of seats. I used it to replace the top part of the too-soft foam on my FJR and it worked out well enough for me to do an Iron Butt Saddlesore 1000 with very little butt-burn.

Thanks,
        Joe
        IBA# 24077
        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

I got some foam at a craft store that was pretty firm. I used it for boat seats and you know how long you sit on a boat catching fish. Plus the environment is hard on the foam as well.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Jethro was kind enough to share his experience with re-upholstering his 1100ED a while back:

When I rebuild my seat, I'll make sure to take some photos of the foam rebuilding process.

The Sargent supercell foam looks like it's exactly what I'm after. I'll give 'em a call.

Has anyone actually held the supercell foam in their hands? I wonder if it would be best to get enough to make two layers (replacing most of the foam in the front of the seat), or just use one layer to make an insert.

I'm not going to bother with refurbishing the foam in the passenger section of the seat -- it's in fine condition, and I don't carry passengers much. My wife mostly refuses to ride with me (drag the pegs just once with her on board, get branded for life as a maniac...)

Here's a great step-by-step example from Sargent of reconditioning a classic seat:
            Sargent Cycle Custom Seat Services Division - review our list of basic re-upholstering services, foam upgrades, and foam re-countering services.
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I don't much like the look of their cover for the 1100's...

Comment

I'm planning to recover mine pretty quickly too, as soon as I get the mechanicals shaken out. I kind of want to ride it for a while to see what I think I really need to do. I'll be following your progress closely. Please put up pics once you get done! I like the looks of the ones from motorcycleseatcovers, but I'd like to see if they'd make one without all the piping. To me it would make a nicer smoother appearance.

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
                  I don't much like the look of their cover for the 1100's...
                  You're right -- that particular picture looks pretty cheesy. I believe Jethro (also an 1100E) had Sargent custom make his seat cover with the textured vinyl. B&H can make yours with whatever vinyl you want. In my case, Sargent did not list my bike, but B&H does.

The pictures posted by BriTXbike a while back included a lot of close-ups that showed the B&H cover was an exact, high quality copy of the original. Not puffy and shiny at all. I wonder if it's just an odd-looking photo?
                  Eat more venison.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
                    I'm getting ready to rebuild the tired old seat on my '83 GS850G. I'll be ordering up a new seat cover shortly from B&H http://motorcycleseatcovers.com/ in a nice basketweave texture vinyl. Should be sharp.

Big SNIP
                    Be sure to post a picture of the seat once you are done! I've been trying to find someone that has a pattern similar to the stock Suzuki seat or would be will to upholster something similar to that pattern. The pleated seat cover doesn't look very good.

Comment

Working...
                    X