Problem Staring in the Morning only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem Staring in the Morning only

82-GS650 I have a heck of a problem starting in the morining sometimes it even drain the battery doing it. If I use the choke it wont start at all, if I give it gas starts to smell like gas. I have to go back and forth with the throtle until it catches. now this only happens in the mornings after that its on with the firts push of the switch. After checking and cleaning plugs bike runs much better but it idles about 2k why.

Getting little frustrated with it.

Appriciate any help.

p.s I have already check all the plugs and are ok. plug cables are new.

Your problem may be caused by different things...
    1. try cleaning your air filter as described in your manual...
    2. it may be time for a carb tune-up
    3. your gas lines may be twisted and after warmed up they pump fuel normaly...
    4. your ignition coils need cleaning
    5. water may be accumulated in the spark plugs, ignition or carb...
    6. keep trying!

Suerte hermano!

Comment

Simple stuff first. You aren't leaving your bike over night with the petcock on "Prime" are you? That could flood your bike making it hard to start in the morning.

Make sure your petcock is on "run" and that when you shut off the bike, no fuel is draining from the gas tank into the carbs. If you've been leaving it on "Prime" its also time for an oil change.

Keep us posted.
      Last edited by Guest; 02-09-2006, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose1124
        82-GS650 I have a heck of a problem starting in the morining sometimes it even drain the battery doing it. If I use the choke it wont start at all, if I give it gas starts to smell like gas. I have to go back and forth with the throtle until it catches. now this only happens in the mornings after that its on with the firts push of the switch. After checking and cleaning plugs bike runs much better but it idles about 2k why.

Getting little frustrated with it.

Appriciate any help.

p.s I have already check all the plugs and are ok. plug cables are new.
        Bad O-rings on the intake boots. The leaking O-rings cause the high idle and make it hard to start. Intermittant problems are caused by them. The carbs do not seal properly and cannot meter fuel correctly. Air leaks past the O rings and blues the pipes. Generally drives people nuts.

8 bucks for four manifold O rings from the dealer and 8 allen head screws to replace phillips head screws. While you have the carbs off clean the needle seats for the carbs by spraying carb cleaner through the fuel line and clean the bowls. don't try to remove the float pins, the small towers break easy. Push some carb spray though the passages and then replace the O-rings. This is not as good as teardown but should at least help the situation.

I tested my carbs on the bench by setting them level and allowing fuel to flow in. I made sure the foats did not leak, and that gas did not run out. The floats need to shut the fuel off. The valve that the floats operate has a small o-ring that sometimes leaks, if it does I would go to www.cycleorings.com and get the oring kit for 12.00. Then you can tear them down and rebuild them. BUT, just try to get past this problem of hard starting and gas smell first.

The gas smell is probably also coming from the leaky orings. If you see gas stains around the head and boots then for sure thats it. If you invest the time you can solve this and not have any problems with it for a while/
        Last edited by duaneage; 02-09-2006, 01:48 AM.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Check your clamps that attach the carbs to the intake boots too.

Comment

"If I use the choke, it won't start at all". Huh? this is why you have a choke. All the other symptoms are typical of trying to start a cold bike without a choke.

Sounds like a choke malfunction to me. Are you sure it's getting actuated when you move the lever? Is there enough movement on the cable to actually move the carb levers? If so, make sure you don't open the throttle when you hit the start button if choke is on - defeats the purpose.

Comment

Just from my own experience, how old is the battery? That can make a huge difference. Even if it's only a year old. I always had a problem cold starting my 750 (79) with the button, but it would generally fire over relativeley fast when I'd use the kick starter.

I'd also second the dirty filter thought. My 1100's filter is extremely dirty (I need to replace it) and it's always a pain to start in the cold (10-20 degrees F).

I'd also recommend a battery tender (roughly $20). It's always easier to start the bike if the battery is fresh.

Brad tt

Comment

thank you

Hey everyone.

I am going to go through the bike with most if not all the advise you all had given and see what i get. Thanks again for the advise and I will let you know how it went on monday.

Jose (Hose)

Comment

2,000 rpm idle?
                  If the idle adjuster knob has been set correctly for a (1,000/1,100 ) rpm idle, then you have an intake leak most likely.
                  In case the idle wasn't set correctly, adjust it, cold, to idle at 1,000 rpm's. Warm up the bike completely. If the rpm's now rise to around 2,000, you for sure have an intake leak. Most likely the manifolds or any o-rings your model may use.
                  If the rpm's do not rise, or only rise 100 rpm or close to, then your hard starting is mixture related. Most likely dirty carbs.
                  Opening the throttle, by-passes the choke circuit by the way. When cold, a correctly tuned bike will start with the necessary amount of choke and no throttle used.
                  And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                  Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Again I learned something from Kieth.I was wondering why I cant touch my throttle till it warms up,now I know!

Comment

Tried Choke

Hey Riders,

I pulled the choke out as far as it would go and gues what? its started right away.

Bike still runs little rough still changing orings.

Let you know more latter

Comment

What do you mean you "pulled the choke out",I have an83 650 gl with the choke lever on the left handlebar switch.Have you checked your screw on the choke rail.The far one on the right is what makes your choke rail activate.Look to see if it is working properly.

Comment

choke cable

My cable is not set correctly when I move the lever the choke does not come out all the way need to adjust.

Comment

check the screw where the cable connetion is linked to .If its loose or not adjusted properly it will cause your choke rail not to open properly.

Comment

Working...
                            X