Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering Stem Press out

All,

Has anyone pressed out a steering stem on a GS750ES 83'. The lower clamp is made of Aluminum and the stem is steel. It appears there is a ring clip on the underside of the lower clamp. I assume if pressed out it needs to go out from bottom to top?? Anyone do this on a press before?

Thanks is advance,
    Greg in Cincinnati.

I would not do this. If the repair fails you are going to get killed. Sorry to be so graphic but if you need to repair it then replace it. If your trying to create something I would not try. The stresses on that part are very high and once you mess with it, well you know what could happen.

Just my .02, don't hurt me.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Listen to Duane. Dont do it!

Earl

Originally posted by Cappy
      All,

Has anyone pressed out a steering stem on a GS750ES 83'. The lower clamp is made of Aluminum and the stem is steel. It appears there is a ring clip on the underside of the lower clamp. I assume if pressed out it needs to go out from bottom to top?? Anyone do this on a press before?

Thanks is advance,
      Greg in Cincinnati.
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Steering stem

I hate to sound like a broken record, but I agree. I tried to press a 1100 stem out without realizing the retainer was there. I can't see any way to get it out without compromising either the stem or the tree itself. In my case, I'm putting the 37mm 1100 forks on my '77 GS 750. I needed to get the stem out to mill the diameter down so the stock 750 roller bearing repalcements would work. Not necessary, though, as Kawasaki H1 and H2 replacement rollers appear to be the correct size to put everything together without any machine work. I ordered the parts yesterday, so I won't know until at least the weekend with any certainty- on paper, it should all fall together. Are you trying to do something similar? Let us know- perhaps we can save you some grief and agony!

Comment

Yes, special application

I am attempting to put GS750 forks and triples (37mm tubes) on a CB550. The replacement brgs for the honda are 26mm on the upper clamp. The Suzuki stem is 25mm. I have a detail drawing I made of a new stem to accomodate the 26mm bearings, since I have had no luck in finding the correct bearing size. Anyone know where I can get special sized tapered roller bearings. Thanks again,

Greg.

Comment

Cappy-
            Sounds like a neat project. It seems you have several options:
            1. Get another Suzuki tree. Cut one apart for the stem, and the other for the tree. Time consuming and messy...
            2. There doesn't appear to be any replacement motorcycle bearing sets in the size you need (25 x 48.5 x 15.2). Several Yamahas take 25 x 48 x15.2- XS 650, XV 920/1000- might be worth a shot to at least try. My local parts yard has a 920 Virago- I'd be happy to yank the top race to try if you think it might work.
            3. Later Hondas- CB 900F and early VFR's- used 37mm fork tubes. The inners of these are the same size as your 550. I also have two of these laying out in the shed. You might have to deal with axle spacer or rotor/caliper alighment issues, but you would be on your way up top.
            4. I have a Suzuki stem that I think came from a '79 1000L. It appears to be a standard press in, without the locking ring. You are welcome to borrow it also if you want to offer it up to your frame. Keep in mind that the offset is very different from your existing Suzuki trees.
            Hopefully you'll find direction from this if you haven't already solved your problem. Good luck! Rob

Comment

I have a tree from a 850 that used 37mm fork tubes. The spacing is wider than my 650, not surehow much.
              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
              X