Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Round to rectangular brake resevoir GS1000G- what year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Round to rectangular brake resevoir GS1000G- what year?

Does anybody know what year the GS1000 changed from the round front brake resevoir to the rectangular brake resevoir? I have a rectangular one that needs replacing, but I have only found a round one on eBay. Does anyone know if other sizes (850, etc) front brake resevoir/ master cylinders are interchangable? Thanks!

I believe it was 1980. This also marked the change to the slotted rotors and improved calipers with the rectangular brake pads.

The front end parts on the 850G, including the forks and brakes, are the same as the 1000G.

With stainless lines, the later brakes are excellent -- not as awesome as later-model sporting hardware, of course, but not shabby at all.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by CLAY
      Does anybody know what year the GS1000 changed from the round front brake resevoir to the rectangular brake resevoir? I have a rectangular one that needs replacing, but I have only found a round one on eBay. Does anyone know if other sizes (850, etc) front brake resevoir/ master cylinders are interchangable? Thanks!
      I have a brand new suzuki rectangular resevoir (it was on my bike three days) . I have a new cover and the rubber o ring that goes on the bottom and the rubber diafram(?). Check out the one on bike bandit that fits the 1980 GS550ET. If the part #s match yours...it'll fit. I paid $42 for all the parts. I'll take $25 shipped...or maybe trade for something. You can even have the leakey master cylinder that caused me to buy it in the first place.:-D Pm me if you want it

Comment

Here are the part #s (lever NOT included because I broke it)
        Order Date/Time: 10/31/2005 7:48:27 AM
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Row Qty Part Description Price Status Tracking#
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
        1 510399-001 RESERVOIR,M $14.49 Cross Shipped
        2 466028-001 SCREW 4X10 $0.59 On Order
        3 1 510344-001 DIAPHRAGM,M $6.32 On Order
        4 1 510351-001 PLATE,DIAPH $3.07 Cross Shipped
        5 1 510370-001 CAP,MASTER $14.49 Cross Shipped
        6 1 510404-001 SCREW,RESER $0.82 On Order
        7 1 510393-001 ORING RESER $3.18 On Order
        Last edited by Guest; 02-09-2006, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Sorry- no joy with the 550. The part #'s don't match. I bet the 550 had a single disk, right?

Comment

Originally posted by CLAY
            Sorry- no joy with the 550. The part #'s don't match. I bet the 550 had a single disk, right?
            My mistake. I thought you just needed the reservoir? They are the same on the 1000e.
            http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit...e~GS1000ET.asp
            The master cyl I have is not for dual disk.
            Last edited by Guest; 02-09-2006, 04:24 PM.

Comment

I see the "G" is a whole other animal...
              If anyone else wants it, let Me know.
              Last edited by Guest; 02-09-2006, 05:05 PM.

Comment

I believe on the later Gs the reservior was rectangular and was one piece with the MC body -- the reservoir has a round window so you can see the brake fluid level. Earlier models had a round plastic reservoir.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
                  I believe on the later Gs the reservoir was rectangular and was one piece with the MC body -- the reservoir has a round window so you can see the brake fluid level. Earlier models had a round plastic reservoir.
                  the 80 and 81 GS1000G has a rectangular transparent(ish) plastic reservoir that is separate from the master assembly.
                  for 1982 they changed to the one piece aluminum assembly with the round site glass, they also upped displacement to 1100cc
                  suzuki changed the GS master cylinder from round to rectangular for 1980.

I got lucky, I scored a complete shiny new master cylinder for $40 on E-bay, no one else bid on it!
                  you can use the pre-1980 master but only if it came off a dual disc bike, the piston in the mastercylinders are differant sizes between single disc and dual disc.

Comment

Working...
                  X