82 1100E V&H 4-1 DynoJet jetting results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 1100E V&H 4-1 DynoJet jetting results

I started out with stock pilots (45) 3.5 turns out on the mixture screw, and the DJ114 with the clip 3 from the top on the needle as recommended.
    Ran like crap and would hardly start.
    I finally got it to idle by going 6 turns out, but the screws were about to fall out, but at least it would run. I double checked that I was thinking it was lean by putting my hand over the airbox hole, and it sped up. Ok, that means it's lean.
    Next problem was that it wouldn't accept 1/4-3/8 throttle.

I picked up some 50 pilots. I wanted 47.5 but they only had three. I also read an old post about some 1100 owners all raising their needle to the 5th clip. I turned the screw in to 2 out (from 6 out) to start with.

1.5 was the best. Now the bike ROCKS! I probably would have been at 4 turns out with the 47.5s. and throttle response is killer everywhere with raising the needle to the 5th down.

I am going to ride it for a while to get a better feel for any dead spots, then do a plug reading at several throttle openings. Then I'll use my free dyno run coupon that came with the DJ kit.

In summary:
    Stock airbox, K&N filter, lid in place, stock motor, V&H 4-1 Street Megaphone
    Main jet: DJ114
    Needle: DJ 5th clip down from top.
    Pilot jet: 50
    Mixture screw: 1.5 turns out.

-Kevin

Originally posted by outofcontrol
    I started out with stock pilots (45) 3.5 turns out on the mixture screw, and the DJ114 with the clip 3 from the top on the needle as recommended.
    Ran like crap and would hardly start.
    I finally got it to idle by going 6 turns out, but the screws were about to fall out, but at least it would run. I double checked that I was thinking it was lean by putting my hand over the airbox hole, and it sped up. Ok, that means it's lean.
    Next problem was that it wouldn't accept 1/4-3/8 throttle.

I picked up some 50 pilots. I wanted 47.5 but they only had three. I also read an old post about some 1100 owners all raising their needle to the 5th clip. I turned the screw in to 2 out (from 6 out) to start with.

1.5 was the best. Now the bike ROCKS! I probably would have been at 4 turns out with the 47.5s. and throttle response is killer everywhere with raising the needle to the 5th down.

I am going to ride it for a while to get a better feel for any dead spots, then do a plug reading at several throttle openings. Then I'll use my free dyno run coupon that came with the DJ kit.

In summary:
    Stock airbox, K&N filter, lid in place, stock motor, V&H 4-1 Street Megaphone
    Main jet: DJ114
    Needle: DJ 5th clip down from top.
    Pilot jet: 50
    Mixture screw: 1.5 turns out.

-Kevin
    Good job Kevin....

Comment

Nice work, Kevin. Your thoroughness is paying off.

When these bikes first came out in the early '80s and were run on dynos to see what effect aftermarket pipes, jetting, etc. had, the simplest and most effective change requiring nothing else to compensate was to remove the airbox cover. It resulted in an immediate horsepower gain even with a stock paper filter, indicating that the stock airbox is a bit restrictive when covered. I have run mine coverless with a K&N filter ever since.

You might try removing the airbox cover as you continue your tweaking and testing.

Comment

Boondocks,

I think I'll do that.

Changing the jetting my dirt bike is a 2-3 minute process. You can just loosen the boots and spin the carb for access.

It takes me about an hour to make one adjustment (jet changes) on the GS.

Do you think I could do a plug reading on just one carb/cyl so I wouldn't have to remove the carbs?

Comment

K&N slowly leading to the death of your engine. Nice wokr on the jetting though...from what I've heard/read/expereinced, you should remove the stock airbox lid.

~Adam

Comment

Working...
          X