1983 GS1100 Headlamp Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS1100 Headlamp Replacement

I know that there are several threads on headlamps but I am looking for information for my bike.

I have a 1983 GS1100 E model that I need to replace the headlight. Low beam went out. I would like to go with something brighter.

Does anyone know what is the best setup and exactly where can I buy?

The best headlight bulb available is the Sylvania Silverstar halogen 60/55. That should getcha about 3 times more light than the stock bulb with no increase in electrical consumption.

Earl

Originally posted by jgordon
    I know that there are several threads on headlamps but I am looking for information for my bike.

I have a 1983 GS1100 E model that I need to replace the headlight. Low beam went out. I would like to go with something brighter.

Does anyone know what is the best setup and exactly where can I buy?
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
      The best headlight bulb available is the Sylvania Silverstar halogen 60/55. That should getcha about 3 times more light than the stock bulb with no increase in electrical consumption.

Earl
      Sorry, Earl, but I must disagree that the Sylvania Silverstar is the best headlight bulb available.

The Sylvania Silverstar is a good bulb, but it is not the brightest 60/55 H4 bulb available. In fact, it is not brighter than Sylvania's own less expensive Xtravision bulb. On the other hand, the clear Osram Silverstar bulb is brighter and longer lasting than the blue tinted Sylvania Silverstar. The reputation for excellence was started by the clear Osram Silverstar. The blue Sylvania Silverstar knocks off the "Silverstar" name but is not the same bulb. Osram owns Sylvania, and this is undoubtedly a marketing ploy by Sylvania to capitalize on the superiority of the Osram Silverstar bulb.

See Sylvania Silverstar (Blue) vs. Osram Silverstar (Clear) for an explanation.

Also see H4 Bulb Comparisons for technical data and scientific tests.***EDIT***The preceding link contains another link to "Auto Express H4 Bulb Tests", which is no longer a valid link. This link has been replaced by Auto Express H7 +50 Bulb Tests. The H4 bulb is not as common as single filament types such as the H7, but the test results by manufacturing technology are the same for both types of bulbs.

jgordon A high output +50 bulb such as the Osram Silverstar powered by a relay is a good solution. The relay alone can add substantial brightness to the headlight by preventing voltage drop through small wires and the headlight switch. A headlight relay connected directly to the battery with its own fuse will allow full battery voltage to be used by the bulb. The increase in brightness will be immediately noticeable.

Comment

OK, so my beloved Sylvania Silverstar is a hunk 'o junk. (Shoot, I was pretty happy with it up until a minute ago... it's NOT tinted blue, BTW. The bulb is clear, or at least the one on my bike is.)

Where/how would one obtain the wonderfulness of an Osram Silverstar bulb?
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Boondocks,

I just ordered a 2 pack of the 17184 Osram Silver Star H4's ( $34.14 ). I don't know what I would do without you electrical guys. You say a relay should be installed, do you have a suggestion as to where and what kind would be a good one?

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
            OK, so my beloved Sylvania Silverstar is a hunk 'o junk. (Shoot, I was pretty happy with it up until a minute ago... it's NOT tinted blue, BTW. The bulb is clear, or at least the one on my bike is.)
            Hardly a hunk 'o junk! It's a good bulb, but marketing games are being played by bulb manufacturers that color termperature (whiteness) is related to brightness (luminance). See Syvania's own specifications at Halogen Product Comparison and check the brightness specs. Both Sylvania's Silverstar and Xtravision ( 9003 clear) have lumens rated at Low 910 +/- 10%; High 1500 +/- 10% without stating a test voltage. From Osram's spec sheet, at 13.2 V the Osram Silverstar H4 has lumens rated at at Low 1075±7%; High 1700±10%.

I had not previously heard a report of a clear Sylvania Silverstar bulb. It would be interesting to note the part no. and manufacturer on your bulb.

Originally posted by bwringer
            Where/how would one obtain the wonderfulness of an Osram Silverstar bulb?
            I got mine at California Sport Touring. The price is $27.80 plus $4.05 (USPS Priority Mail) for a total of $31.85 for two bulbs.

Comment

As BWRINGER stated, I also have a clear silverstar bulb. It is not the blue variety. I checked lumens when I started using them, but its been a long time and I forget the rating. I may have it written down somewhere.

Also, I dont think we can accurately compare the brightness of the bulbs in question without knowing the voltage applied. The osram may or may not be brighter at the same voltage.

Earl

[QUOTE=Boondocks]
              I had not previously heard a report of a clear Sylvania Silverstar bulb. It would be interesting to note the part no. and manufacturer on your bulb.
              Last edited by earlfor; 02-10-2006, 11:25 PM.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by jgordon
                Boondocks,

I just ordered a 2 pack of the 17184 Osram Silver Star H4's ( $34.14 ). I don't know what I would do without you electrical guys. You say a relay should be installed, do you have a suggestion as to where and what kind would be a good one?
                Although it is possible to use one relay to power high and low beams, I don't recommend this because the main power for the lights has to be routed through the ignition switch. A two relay setup can use fused power directly from the battery, with the ignition and light switches carrying only the minimal power required to activate the relays.

You can get Bosch-type relays at many places, including Radio Shack, but some are better that others. Motorcycles are hard duty applications due to weather and vibration. Some expensive kits are available, but I would wire my own setup with waterproof, sealed relays such as at Parts Express Relays. Part no. 330-079 would be a good choice. I would also get two part no. 330-075 12VDC 5-Pin Relay Sockets to cover the relay's male connectors, and solder the input wiring to the socket wiring. For a standard 60/55 watt H4 bulb I would use a 14 gauge wire with a 10 Amp fuse from the battery to power the relays. You can install the relays anywhere you have the space and they are protected from excessive engine heat, i.e., in the headlight shell, or in the front of the bike under the tank.

Do a Google search on "Motorcycle Headlight Relays" to get more ideas and information. I haven't ordered from Parts Express yet, as they use UPS by default and it isn't economical for a small parts order. On the other hand, maybe they will ship by USPS priority mail for $4.05 if asked on a small order.

Comment

Sylvania? We Don' Need No Stinkin' Sylvania

As BWRINGER stated, I also have a clear silverstar bulb. It is not the blue variety. I checked lumens when I started using them, but its been a long time and I forget the rating. I may have it written down somewhere.

Also, I dont think we can accurately compare the brightness of the bulbs in question without knowing the voltage applied. The osram may or may not be brighter at the same voltage

Earl.
                  Well, as for yours and bwringer's clear Sylvania Silverstar bulbs, I can only speculate. But it is a fact that the current offerings are blue-tinted bulbs,which can easily be seen on Sylvania Silverstar Product Line. The ones that I have seen in stores have all had the faint blue cast.

From Sylvania's Silverstar Frequenly Asked Questions, they admit that the (blue) Silverstar has a shorter life.

Also:

Q) What’s the difference between European and North American SilverStar?
                  A) The Sylvania North American SilverStar bulbs have a high tech amethyst blue coating to help give the whiter light appearance. The European SilverStar does not have a coating for the whiter light, making it more like the SYLVANIA (US) XtraVision product line. Both bulbs offer greater luminance (increased brightness).
                  I have found Sylvania to be evasive and misleading about the benefits of a whiter color from the blue coating. This fascination with "whiter light" started with the HID lights, which look "whiter" due to the high intensity arc discharge illumination, and is a byproduct of this type of illumination. The advantage of HID is not whiter light, but increased brightness. In fact, there is a body of evidence that "whiter" light produces more glare at night, especially when wet surfaces, rain or fog (not to mention snow) is present. See Bad Blues, then Good Blues, into which category the Sylvania Silverstar falls.

I have searched all over the Sylvania site and downloaded some spec sheets, but nowhere can I find test voltages. Osram's specs are more complete. Nevertheless, I think that I can offer a reasonable proof that Osram's Silverstar is brighter by inductive reasoning.

1. There are two main classes of high performance halogen headlight bulbs, +30 and +50, based on their relative light output compared a standard bulb.
                  2. The Osram Silverstar H4 bulb is known to be a +50 bulb.
                  3. According to Sylvania's own data sheets, their Silverstar produces the same lumens as their clear XtraVision bulb.
                  4. Buried in a footnote in one of the downloaded data sheets, it states that the XtraVison is 30% brighter than a standard halogen bulb. The XtraVision is a +30 bulb.
                  5. Osram produces a line of +30 bulbs called "Super" which is are top performers, but not as bright as the +50 Silverstar.

And finally, if you have made it this far and are still not convinced, on Sylvania's site I found a 9003 and H4 Bulb Comparison. H4 ST and 9003 ST are the Sylvania Silverstars. 9003 XV is the Sylvania XtraVision. 64193 is the part no. of the standard Osram H4 bulb. The Osram Silverstar is part no. 64193SVS.

Check out the MSCD (Mean Spherical Candela) ratings. MSCD is the average value of the luminous intensity of a light source in all directions. To convert MSCD to Lumens, multiply by 4pi (12.57). For High Beam, the Sylvania Silverstars (and XtraVision) are 125 MSCD x 12.57 = 1571 Lumens. The Osram 64193 bulb is 138 MSCD x 12.57 = 1735 Lumens. The Osram is much brighter on low beam as well.

Check out the Rated Life (should be at 14 V). The Osram bulb is rated at 2 times the life on low beam and 3 times the life on high beam compared to the Sylvania Silverstars. The Osram is rated at twice the life of the XtraVision on low beam. I don't know if this is the Osram Silverstar 64193SVS or not (but I think that it probably is), and can only use the data on Sylvania's site.

There is nothing wrong with the Sylvania Silverstars if you are happy with them. They are good bulbs, and for those who like the "whiter" look of a blue coating, go for it. Earl and bwringer, maybe since your bulbs are clear you somehow already have the Osram Silverstars.

Comment

I just bought a Sylvania Silverstar H4 at Oreilly's and it is not blue tinted. It is also labeled "For Motorcycle Use Only". Couldn't find one at Walmart!

Comment

Its possible I already have the Osram Silverstar and dont realize it. :-) I've had the same bulb in my 1150 that I installed when I bought the bike from David Price nearly 4 years ago. Whichever it is, I cant complain about he longevity. :-) With the 8" headlight on the 1150, the reach and width of the beam has to be seen to be believed. heheheh

Earl

Originally posted by Boondocks
                      There is nothing wrong with the Sylvania Silverstars if you are happy with them. They are good bulbs, and for those who like the "whiter" look of a blue coating, go for it. Earl and bwringer, maybe since your bulbs are clear you somehow already have the Osram Silverstars.

Comment

Originally posted by jimg
                        I just bought a Sylvania Silverstar H4 at Oreilly's and it is not blue tinted. It is also labeled "For Motorcycle Use Only". Couldn't find one at Walmart!
                        Hmm? Thanks, jimg. That sounds like the answer to this mystery. If the bulbs that are packaged "For Motorcycle Use Only" are clear, that would explain why Earl's and bwringer's Sylvania Silverstar bulbs are clear instead of tinted blue. Their clear bulbs are probably the "For Motorcycle Use Only" type, and they would be a different product than the standard Sylvania Silverstar. When of equal brightness a clear bulb will be more resistant to vibration and last longer than a blue-tinted one. This is because a bulb with the blue tint requires a finer, less durable filament for the same brightness as a clear bulb due to the absorption losses of the blue tint.

jimg, can you read all of the product numbers and description you can find on the bulb itself and post them here? Maybe then we can figure out what specs these bulbs have, and maybe if they are the same as the Osram Silverstar.

Comment

Its possible I already have the Osram Silverstar and dont realize it. :-) I've had the same bulb in my 1150 that I installed when I bought the bike from David Price nearly 4 years ago. Whichever it is, I cant complain about he longevity. :-) With the 8" headlight on the 1150, the reach and width of the beam has to be seen to be believed. heheheh

Earl
                          After reading and replying to jimg's post about the "For Motorcycle Use Only" clear Sylvania Silverstars, it seems likely that maybe you and bwringer have this type of bulb, and maybe it is the Osram type. Your clear bulb would also explain the longevity.

Yes, the brightness and range of the Osram bulb on my bike is outstanding, and lights up the night.

Comment

"jimg, can you read all of the product numbers and description you can find on the bulb itself and post them here? Maybe then we can figure out what specs these bulbs have, and maybe if they are the same as the Osram Silverstar."

---------------------------

I would, but I've already installed the bulb. I have to take the windshield off to get to the screws on the headlamp.

The box shows Sylvania H4 ST, Made in Germany, and Imported by OSRAM SYLVANIA, LTD.

It also shows 12 volts, 60/55 watts.

The color chart shows ~4000K.

If you need anything else, I might just stop by Oreilly's and see if I can read the numbers on the bulb inside the package!

Comment

Thanks, Jimg.

Well, if the bulb is imported from Germany, then it's an Osram (German) product. The H4 ST on the packaging would indicate an Osram Silverstar. That's good enough for me.

The only discrepancy on the box description is the ~4000K color temperature. This is the color temperature of the US blue-tint Silverstar. A clear bulb should have a color temperature of ~3200K. Maybe they overlooked this when the packaging was made.

My spare Osram Silverstar has this description around the periphery:

OSRAM BILUX 64193 SVS GERMANY 12V 60/55W H4 U

Comment

Working...
                              X