No announcement yet.

1983 GS1100 Headlamp Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ahhh, it appears the puzzle is solved as to why we had white silverstars when they should have been blue. :-)

Earl
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by Boondocks
      Thanks, Jimg.

The only discrepancy on the box description is the ~4000K color temperature. This is the color temperature of the US blue-tint Silverstar. A clear bulb should have a color temperature of ~3200K. Maybe they overlooked this when the packaging was made.
      The color comparison chart on back shows

Incandescent 2800K
      Standard Halogen 3200K
      Cool Blue ~3500K
      Silverstar ~4000K
      Xenarc Standard HID 4100K
      Xenarc Auxilary HID 5400K

Comment

Originally posted by jimg
        The color comparison chart on back shows

Incandescent 2800K
        Standard Halogen 3200K
        Cool Blue ~3500K
        Silverstar ~4000K
        Xenarc Standard HID 4100K
        Xenarc Auxilary HID 5400K
        Yes, that's right. In the case of color temperature, a "Standard Halogen" just means a bulb with clear glass. The Cool Blue and Silverstar have increased color temperature due to the blue coating, which absorbs some brightness.

A clear high performance bulb such as the Osram Silverstar or Slyvania XtraVision would have a color temperature of about 3200K.

Another outstanding H4 high performance bulb, and the equal of the Osram Silverstar is the Philips VisionPlus. They are very close in brightness and overall performance (beam focus, etc) and the Osram will barely win one test and the Philips another. These bulbs are both excellent and their brightess is unsurpassed in the 60/55 H4 bulb category.

The Philips bulbs can be ordered now in the US from California Sports Touring at Philips VisionPlus H4 Bulbs at $14.49 for one or $27.80 for two plus $4.05 USPS Priority Mail Shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
          Ahhh, it appears the puzzle is solved as to why we had white silverstars when they should have been blue. :-)

Earl
          Yes, isn't it fun when we occasionally figure out an explanation for something that resolves a puzzling issue.

Comment

LMAO Actually, it is. heh

Earl

Yes, isn't it fun when we occasionally figure out an explanation for something that resolves a puzzling issue.
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Another outstanding H4 high performance bulb, and the equal of the Osram Silverstar is the Philips VisionPlus. They are very close in brightness and overall performance (beam focus, etc) and the Osram will barely win one test and the Philips another. These bulbs are both excellent and their brightess is unsurpassed in the 60/55 H4 bulb category.

The Philips bulbs can be ordered now in the US from California Sports Touring at Philips VisionPlus H4 Bulbs at $14.49 for one or $27.80 for two plus $4.05 USPS Priority Mail Shipping.

I notice the Philips H4 bulbs are all 'Off Road Use only' items, even at 60/55W.......wonder why?

Tony.
              '82 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq
                I notice the Philips H4 bulbs are all 'Off Road Use only' items, even at 60/55W.......wonder why?

Tony.
                I knew that I should have addressed that issue, since someone was bound to question it. I'm glad you did.

Actually, in a technical sense, the Osram bulb falls into the same category, by the statement "Not DOT approved". As far as I know, this is only because the Philips and Osram +50 bulbs are not normally imported to the US and they haven't jumped through the hoops to get DOT approval. Either one could be approved it the effort were made. For instance, Slyvania is selling an import of what appears to be the clear Osram Silverstar in a "For Motorcycle Use Only" package, presumably with DOT approval.

So, I think it is just a technicality that retailers have to list to cover their ass. The bulbs are not overpowered in watts, which would be a primary violation of motor vehicle regulations.

As long as the FBBI (Federal Bureau of Bulb Inspection) does not learn of your crime if you ride on-road, you should be OK. If you see them coming, simply start riding on the sidewalk so that you can take the "off-road" defense.

Comment

Both the Philips VisionPlus and Osram Silverstar are ECE approved, which means they can be used in all European countries plus Australia, Japan, and South Africa. If the low beam in an ECE approved bulb or lamp is to be used only in a left-side (UK, Australia, Japan, South Africa) or right-side driving situation, it should be so marked. → means left-hand traffic only. No arrow means low beam is suitable only for use in right-hand traffic (US, Canada, Continental Europe, Scandinavia, Russia, etc.). ↔ means low beam is adaptable for use on either side of the road.

See International ECE Markings for details.

Comment

I see that a truly major point is being overlooked, and that is the colour temperature, rated in degrees Kelvin.

Kelvin allows for many variables in light, with major variations ranging from mid-yellow to near-violet.

Arguably, the best is in the range of sunlight, which (again subject to whose interpretation is followed) is within the range of 4800 to 5400K.

Below 4800K, yellow intensifies. Above 5400, the blue becomes more predominant.

Reflectivity is another item not considered in any advertisement I have yet seen.

The suggestion that either yellow or blue is better on a rainy road borders on absurd. Far too many variables are involved with interpretation, because the angle of reflection is not only very different from a dry circumstance, it is inconstant, with the result that you see less when looking ON the road.

Regrettably, most people use ON the road as their reference, and it is a very faulty reference.

A very simple reality is that, the closer you remain to a standard white, the greater the ability of the eye, and brain, to focus attention on what is ahead..
                    Last edited by argonsagas; 02-12-2006, 08:22 PM.
                    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I picked up this pair of "Type R" (Japanese aftermarket company, popular with the import-tuner crowd) H-4 halogens on ebay.....said to be 5000K if they are to be believed. I have yet to try them...they are claiming 100/90 brightness from the standard 60/55 wattage . The longevity will probably be suspect....I will have to carry one as a spare.

Tony.
                      '82 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq
                        I picked up this pair of "Type R" (Japanese aftermarket company, popular with the import-tuner crowd) H-4 halogens on ebay.....said to be 5000K if they are to be believed. I have yet to try them...they are claiming 100/90 brightness from the standard 60/55 wattage . The longevity will probably be suspect....I will have to carry one as a spare.

Tony.
                        I would have hoped that this thread would have warned you away from bulbs like this with exaggerated and unfounded claims and steered you to bulbs with tested and proven performance, but to each his own.:?

Just as an example of scammy claims, see High Performance Headlights.

Comment

I hear ya....unfortunately I bought these a couple months ago on ebay.....at least I did'nt pay much for them....if they suck, I will get the Osram, and keep these for spares .

Tony.
                          '82 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                          X