Barnett clutch springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barnett clutch springs

I was getting ready to change out the friction and driven plates on a 82 GS11100G and use a combination of stock Suzuki and Barnett clutch springs.

The clutch has 6 springs so I was thinking about mixing 3 STD Barnett clutch springs and 3 new stock Suzuki clutch springs. On the Barnett website it says that their STD springs are 10-15% stronger than stock and the HD springs are 10-25% stronger than stock.

To date I've never had a problem w/ the clutch slipping and the clutch has been easy to pull, etc. Has anyone done anything like this and what were your results?

Unless Barnett has changed their spring formula, running all Barnett springs will make you pretty miserable on the street, especially in traffic. I felt that way when I was running Barnetts in my H2 years ago. Never tried the 50/50 setup.

If it was me and I wasn't getting slippage I'd stick with the stocks. If you decide to experiment, make sure you have extra clutch cover gaskets on hand in case you want to go back.

Comment

Also, the clutch cable will not last as long due to the heavier pull..... might wanna go with all new Suz springs/plates if you have'nt had a slippage problem. Why fix if it ain't broke .

Tony.
      '82 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Jiggles
        Unless Barnett has changed their spring formula, running all Barnett springs will make you pretty miserable on the street, especially in traffic. I felt that way when I was running Barnetts in my H2 years ago. Never tried the 50/50 setup.

If it was me and I wasn't getting slippage I'd stick with the stocks. If you decide to experiment, make sure you have extra clutch cover gaskets on hand in case you want to go back.
        Thanks for the info! I was told not to use all Barnett springs bacause of strong pull that might be required to disengage/engage the clutch. Mostly I wanted to see what input other GSR members might be able to provide.

Comment

Mixing springs means the 3 barnet springs will be stressed more because of their higher seating pressure. Without 3 other springs to share the load they will work harder. I would suspect that having different spring pressures on the assembly could lead to other problems like clutch chatter and uneven clutch wear.

I would use new suzuki springs and take it easy on the launches.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I don't like the heavy springs, 3 heavy & 3 stock is only half as bad as 6 heavy. Years ago, I put 6 heavy in for about month, but never got comfortable with them, too hard to pull. I was doing a lot of street drag racing at the time, appx. 24 years ago. I thought I needed something, because of the abuse I put the clutch thru. I put 3 of the stock springs back in with the 3 heavy, and it worked fine, but still was not as comfortable as the stock springs. Shouldn't harm anything to use heavy & stock together. My wife now rides a (please forgive her) "96" Kawasaki Eliminator ZL 600. She is petite & could barely pull the clutch. I took out 3 of the springs & she is now very comfortable. I've tried a few times, trying to make the clutch slip, with my 220 lbs. on it, but it hasn't slipped yet, even at 115 mph is 6th gear. Sorry, back to your question, If the clutch is giving trouble, find out why & fix it. If you have strong hands & don't mind the hard pull, it won't harm anything except as said earlier the cable life.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Yes, I agree as well had the stiffer springs in mine for three weeks. They were BAD for the street very hard clutch pull AND they draged in gear with the clutch pulled in. Stock is better, all the way around.

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips
                I don't like the heavy springs, 3 heavy & 3 stock is only half as bad as 6 heavy. Years ago, I put 6 heavy in for about month, but never got comfortable with them, too hard to pull. I was doing a lot of street drag racing at the time, appx. 24 years ago. I thought I needed something, because of the abuse I put the clutch thru. I put 3 of the stock springs back in with the 3 heavy, and it worked fine, but still was not as comfortable as the stock springs. Shouldn't harm anything to use heavy & stock together. My wife now rides a (please forgive her) "96" Kawasaki Eliminator ZL 600. She is petite & could barely pull the clutch. I took out 3 of the springs & she is now very comfortable. I've tried a few times, trying to make the clutch slip, with my 220 lbs. on it, but it hasn't slipped yet, even at 115 mph is 6th gear. Sorry, back to your question, If the clutch is giving trouble, find out why & fix it. If you have strong hands & don't mind the hard pull, it won't harm anything except as said earlier the cable life.
                After taking the clutch apart it looks like this was the ORIGINAL clutch in the bike. The clutch basket looked great and the springs were a little shorter than the new stock springs so all I really needed to do was replace the the fiber plates. The old metal driven plates were nice and flat but since I had new fiber and metal plates the new parts went in the bike.

The adjusters on both ends of the clutch cable were loosened until there was ~1/8 inch freeplay at the handlebar lever. The bike goes into gear fine at a standstill BUT it is now a little harder to find Neutral at a standstill. Does this sound like anything to worry about? Do you think this will go away once I've put some miles on the new clutch assembly?

The bike has 82,000 miles on it and has been through lots of city stop/go traffic. The reason for the new clutch was due to some slippage when accelerating hard. Now there is no slippage and the bike runs great except for being able to find Neutral at a standstill. To get around the problem I have been shifting it to Neutral BEFORE coming to a complete stop.

Comment

It may get a little better with with a some riding time. If it doesn't, you may try tightening the clutch lever free play, a little. 1/8" is usually recommended, but less won't hurt anything. Just be sure there is "at least some" freeplay, checked both when engine is cold & hot
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                  X