clutch shaft seal leaking bad - '82 GS550L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch shaft seal leaking bad - '82 GS550L

I had everything apart to change out the stator, and figured I'd go ahead and fix a few oil leaks. I thought I'd just throw in some new seals. I put in the shifter shaft seal and the output shaft seal with no problems, and it fixed my big leak ( the shifter shaft). I replaced the clutch shaft seal, put everything together, and went for a ride. Now it is pouring out around the outside of the clutch shaft seal. I thought I messed it up, so I ordered another seal, and pulled it out, and installed a second one. This one almost slipped right into place. I started the bike, and in about 2 seconds, it was pouring out around the outside of the seal again. Now what do I do?

Is that the oil seal below the release arm?Did you put it in from the top or take the clutch cover off and put it on from the inside?you could have a bad bearing.

Comment

Are you sure it's the right seal? the right seal should need to be tapped in. Your's should be like my wifeee's "85" GS 550, the clutch shaft seal is under the front sprocket cover. The shaft pulls right out of the side of the case. Gouge the old seal out, clean & dry the surface good, shouldn't need it but I put a light coat of sylicone on the outer edge of the new seal, and drive it in by putting the back side of a socket against the seal & tap the front of the socket with hammer till seal is seated
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips
        Are you sure it's the right seal? the right seal should need to be tapped in. Your's should be like my wifeee's "85" GS 550, the clutch shaft seal is under the front sprocket cover. The shaft pulls right out of the side of the case. Gouge the old seal out, clean & dry the surface good, shouldn't need it but I put a light coat of sylicone on the outer edge of the new seal, and drive it in by putting the back side of a socket against the seal & tap the front of the socket with hammer till seal is seated
        If you find out you have the right part and that you tapped it down like RPhillips said then take a close look at the clutch shaft. Check to see if there are any sharp spots that might catch and nick/tear the seal. If there are some sharp spots use some emery cloth to sand down the shaft and put in another seal.

Comment

I did tap it into place with a socket, and all. It's not the shaft or a bearing causing the problem. It's leaking around the outside of the seal, not the inside. I'm trying again tonight with silicone around the outside, but the last one I tried seemed like it went in too easy. I've ordered the seal 3 times, and every time, it's the same part. I'll let you know what happens.

Comment

Have you wiped off the area around the clutch cover, sprayed it down w/ cleaner, and checked the bike for the leak?

Did you look at the clutch shaft seal to see if if has and nicks, cuts, etc?

If the seal that you took out doesn't have any nicks, cuts, etc. on it more than likely the leak is coming from the clutch cover.

Let us know what you find.

Comment

Originally posted by xcutnr
              I did tap it into place with a socket, and all. It's not the shaft or a bearing causing the problem. It's leaking around the outside of the seal, not the inside. I'm trying again tonight with silicone around the outside, but the last one I tried seemed like it went in too easy. I've ordered the seal 3 times, and every time, it's the same part. I'll let you know what happens.

When you remove the seal check the bore the seal goes into. You may have gouged the outer bore by prying the old seal out. Get some of that gasket stuff used for making gaskets for rear end covers. It's black silicone gasket stuff. This will seal the gouge if there is one. Also, the bore must be perfectly clean and dry or the stuff won't stick. And don't use too much so that the "squeeze out" gets into the trans, picked up by the oil pump and plugs the oil passages to the head.

Comment

ok, it's apparently fixed. I put a little RTV around the seal, tapped it into place, put RTV all over the outside, and let it sit for 24 hrs. It took a little more effort to get this one in place. I put it all back together and it's sealed at least for now. I've put about 30 miles on it so far. Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                X