Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vetter Windjammer....Did they come with a wiring harness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vetter Windjammer....Did they come with a wiring harness?

I have found a nice Vetter Windjammer SS fairing for sale. Although it does NOT come with a wiring harness

Question: Did the Windjammer have a harness that came with it? If so, will finding a harness be very difficult? Should I shy away from this purchase?

thanks!!

P.S. I just emailed the sellar to clarify that it does NOT have a wiring harness. I'm thinking he may have thought I was talking about the WHOLE wiring harness from the bike which the fairing came from. Hopefully, they'll email me back soon with an answer.

Yes on the left inside of the farring it should have a plug and there is a wiring harness that plugs into it that connects to the main harness of your bike for the lights. You could make something if you have to, wouldn't be that hard. If it's a good deal go ahead and buy it.

Comment

Hi Rudi.

I've never had a Vetter fairing, but every other fairing I've had came with a "wiring harness". The harness generally consists of a multi-pin plug that mates to a similar connector on the fairing, about 18 inches to 2 feet of wire and then bullet or spade connectors on each wire to plug into your bikes' harness in the headlight bucket after you remove the stock headlight and signal lights.

Unlike the fairing mount the wiring harness is fairly generic and you should be able to pick one up elsewhere, or if you know someone with electrical talent and connectors you could create your own.

Tim

Comment

Those pigtail harnesses that plug into the inner left side of the fairing are also generic Vetter items. They're easily available for auction on eBay. Search eBay under "Vetter" and you'll see a lot of fairings and fairing accessories for auction.

I got a brand new standard windshield and the left-side turn signal on eBay this past February when I was putting my deer-destroyed GK together. Worth every penny for the prices I paid.

The important thing about the fairing is not the harness, but the structural integrity of the fairing. Check the underside, where the four mounting holes are. The entire lower area should be free of cracks, holes, etc.

If this fairing meets the expectation above, buy it and enjoy it.

Nick

Comment

Try giving <www.craigvetter.com> a look. He has a wireing harness layout on it. It souldn't be too difficult to buikld one. The original harness has a 9 pin plug.

Good luck

Comment

I used the wiring diagram from the vetter site to check my harness out. Everything checked out great. Like Nick said make sure that the fairing is sound and worry about the harness later. Wiring one up would be really easy. If you can't do it and dont have any friends that you trust I bet someone in here would be willing to do it for you for a couple of bucks. Just a thought.

Comment

thanks!

I appreciate the help! I'm hoping that I can find a Windjammer SS in great condition soon. If any of you guys see one, let me know. I'm already scouring ebay...hopefully one will turn up there.

BTW, how much weight does a WJ add to the bike? Will my bike feel "sluggish" in any way with it on? Can I expect any performance downgrades?

Rudi :roll:

Comment

The Windjammer won't affect the handling adversely on a big GS, such as the 850, 1000, or 1100. The purists will tell you so, and perhaps they're right. I for one can't tell the difference. Make sure the front forks have the correct amount of fresh oil, and that the air pressure is up to specs. Also, check tire pressure religiously, especially up front.

Whatever adverse effect in handling a Windjammer will give you, you'll make it up with the comfort it provides on long distance rides, particularly in the cold and/or rain. Lowers help in cold and rain quite a bit also.

Nick

Comment

You should not have any trouble finding the wiring harness on eBay! I got mine there and so far I have seen at least 5 others come and go! Also, just to be safe, check deep down inside the pockets of your Vetter fairing. Under the pocket cover too! I found a fairing on eBay that said no wire harness and when I got it there was one stuffed inside. I found it after I had bought another 8O
                  GY

Comment

Working...
                  X