Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb identification and rebuild

Hello

I have a '81 GS750L and I think I need to rebuild the carbs. I have been searching the internet to try and find the kits but havent had any luck due to not knowing which one i need.

The only kit i have found that looks close says it is for a Keyster, but I cant imagine where one of the gaskets would go that are shown in the picture.

Can these be identified somehow by carb number or some other way? Where is a good an inexpensive place to get kits? What are my chances of getting by with just cleaning them real good?

Thanks
    Ed.

Do a search here for robert Barr. He sells the O Ring kits to do the rebuild. You're better off cleaning what you allready have as the jets in the kits are not machined to tight enough tolerances and leave brass filings all over the place. Look in the garage for a step by step procedure to clean them up.

Comment

go to www.cycleorings.com and you can get them there.That is roberts web sight.Also use a GOOD screwdriver on your jets as they are easy to mess up.Regular screwdrivers are'nt flat enuogh for this.Make sure they fit the jets well!
      Last edited by Guest; 02-12-2006, 02:35 PM.

Comment

awesome, so I can assume I have the 'BS' series carbs? The intake o-ring section looks interesting as well....is that something i should look at also?

This bike sat for a couple years without running, I got as much of the rust out of the tank as I could but there is still some in there. I was thinking about installing a glass inline filter to keep it out of the carbs. Has anyone done this?

Thanks
        Ed.

Comment

You need to get ALL the rust out or you wont run long.I use a bike filter purchased from the dealer.Check your intake boots for leaks and it would be a good idea to replace the intake boot o-rings there only 1 buck a piece and well worth it.Make sure when you put your fuel filter on that it sits vertically,not horizontally.it needs to face downward since the fuel is gravity feed.take your petcock off and clean the filter there also adn replace the gasket for it too.Go to www.bikebandit.com and look at it there.Thats were I buy my parts and it take 5 days to get them.The dealer doesnt charge shipping if you have one close to you.Do not use a paper filter! Rust will eventually get past any filter so try to get all the rust out and you might want to have it coated to prevent more rust from starting.
          Last edited by Guest; 02-12-2006, 03:46 PM.

Comment

I replaced all 4 intake boots, dont remember seeing an o-ring there. I thought fuel was vacuum fed on these with the exception of the prime circuit? If its vacuum fed it wont matter if it is horizontal or vertical. I put a new petcock on it.

I have rinsed the tank a few times with gas, how else can i get the rest of the rust out? I bought this bike from a friend to help him out financially and I plan on getting it running to sell it.....so I dont really want to have the tank dipped because I dont want to put the money into having it painted afterwards.

Thanks
            Ed.

Comment

Sorry I thought you had a 650L not 750L.you dont have o-rings.You dont want an air pocket in the fuel line.As long as it goes below the petcocke youll be fine.I have never had rust to deal with so Im sure somebody else will post on this or try useing the search on this sight.

Comment

Working...
              X