Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 550E Underpowered!!!

Hi there all,
    My gs550e has a wee problem, mainly, when i try to open her up, she refuses to do so and then starts to slow down. I have had the bike into a suzuki dealers but they say that it could be an electrical fault as they have already stripped down the carbs.
    This girl has been lying for a wee while but when she eventually starts she stutters alot. When i sit and rev her up and keep it there she starts to slow down as if the carbs are being starved of fuel or there is to much fuel getting in and flodding the engine!!!
    Could anyone oot there help to resolve this what i think is a wee minor problem.

Cheers.

roadrunner
    :-?

try it with the gas cap open a bit==what color are your spark plugs--buy an 1100 model

Comment

Originally posted by roadrunner
      Hi there all,
      My gs550e has a wee problem, mainly, when i try to open her up, she refuses to do so and then starts to slow down. I have had the bike into a suzuki dealers but they say that it could be an electrical fault as they have already stripped down the carbs.
      This girl has been lying for a wee while but when she eventually starts she stutters alot. When i sit and rev her up and keep it there she starts to slow down as if the carbs are being starved of fuel or there is to much fuel getting in and flodding the engine!!!
      Could anyone oot there help to resolve this what i think is a wee minor problem.

Cheers.

roadrunner
      They said it could be an electrical fault??? Why didn't they check for an electrical fault? Doesn't sound like a verry copetent mechanic to me.

First thing you need to find out if it is a fuel, or electrical problem. After the bike has been running for a little wile, see if all four header pipes are hot. If one is colder than the rest then you have a dead cylinder, and you can narrow you search down to that cylinder.

You can also carefully pull 1 spark plug wire at a time and listen to the engine wile its running. Disconecting 1 wire will make the engine run rough. If disconectiong 1 of the wires doesn't make any difference, then you have a dead cylinder.

Check your plugs. I had a dead cylinder once, and a couldn't believe the bike ran as well as it did on 3 cylinders, it was gutless, but ran not to bad. In my case I had a fouled plug, wich looked ok to the eye, but when I replaced it the bike ran like new again. DO NOT TRY TO CLEAN THE PLUGS, get new ones of the correct heat range, they are cheep.

If you have a 1977 - 1979 model, check and adjust/replace the points and condenser, and adjust the ignition timing. On these bikes it makes a difference of night and day. And if you do have a points ignition, make sure your plugs are gapped correctly, closer to the minimum gap. I'm converting to a Dyna ignition myself because the points on my 1978 are so finnicky, and go out of adjustment often.

Go through all of your electrical connectors, and clean up the terminals, add a touch of die-electric grease and put them back together. Go though all of your grounds, clean off any corrosion with sandpaper, and put them back together with some die-electric grease. Make sure the coils are grounded well, and for extra insurance run a new ground wire from your battery - post to the Regulator.

If the carbs are ok, and the cas cap vent isnt plugged, make sure the petcock isn't plugged.

Comment

Hi there all,

Cheers.

roadrunner
        I'm betting fuel starvation here. Put the bike onthe main stand. Remove the gas tank and remove the petcock. Drain the tank and flush out good. Disassemble the fuel petcock and screen and inspect and clean as required. Remove the fuel bowl drain plugs on the bottom and drain carbs. Each carb should have about the same amount of fuel come out. Reassemble and ensure good fuel flow from the fuel hose before connecting to the carbs. Post results so we can all learn.

Get a new mechanic! He sounds a wee bit useless.
        Last edited by Guest; 02-17-2006, 03:46 PM.

Comment

GS 550E Underpowered!!!

Hi there all gang,
          Just a quick reply here.

The bike seams to run ok when i turn the fuel cock onto reserve, but when i turn it back on to ON!!! it starts to run rough as it is fuel starvation.
          I put on another tank complete with fuel cock but the same thing happens again.
          So i am now in the process of completly stripping down the carbs just to see if maybe blocked jets etc.

Will keep you all posted asap

Roadrunner

Comment

Sounds like you don't have good vacuum to the petcock. Did the mechanic get the vacuum line mixed up with a vent line? Possibly plugged line? Both petcocks bad? Not likely. Good luck, Ray
            "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
            GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
            1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
            1979 GS1000SN The new hope
            1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

If it runs OK on reserve why would you go to the carbs? As noted above it sounds like a petcock or vacume line issue.

Comment

Mmmm
                All i can think of is that there may be a blocked jet, so hence stripping down the carbs.
                Do you think that i am giving myself a lot of hard work for nothing?

roadrunner:?

Comment

Does your bike have the stock air box or pod filters? Pods will need the vent lines removed.
                  85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                  79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

This is a gs550e 1980 model on the V plate.
                    The air box is under the seat, i don't know what the pod filters are!
                    There are 2 hoses coming from the petcock, 1 line goes to the rear of the carbs and the 2nd line goes to the front of the carbs.
                    2 hoses come from the carbs and go down below to waste!

Comment

I suspect a clogged fuel line in the carburators...even betting the service shop never pulled them out the bike to clean them.

~Adam

Comment

Try this

I had a fuel starvation issue. Kept going back to the carbs but they were fine. I put more oil on the air filter and it runs like new now. They have to have a certain amount of restriction to keep it from running too lean. This is easy to try. Good luck.
                        Tom

Comment

Mmmm
                          All i can think of is that there may be a blocked jet, so hence stripping down the carbs.
                          Do you think that i am giving myself a lot of hard work for nothing?

roadrunner:?

YES.

If the bike runs OK in the reserve position then that proves the carbs are fine. You need to disassemble the fuel petcock and clean and inspect. There is a filter in there and a diaphram and some little passage ways. Inspect all and clean as required. Hold the diaphram up to the light or use a torch from underneath and check for pin holes.

Comment

Hi there all,

I have stripped down the petcocks from both tanks and everything there seems fine. Tried sucking and blowing through the petcock also and found resistance from the diaphram so no leaks there.

How do you put oil on the air filter?

Stripped down 2 carbs and there were nice and clean so i didn't bother the other 2. Also when they were rebiult i blew down the hoses and there was no obstructions at all.

Everything seems ok but still fuel starvation when tap is on the ON position.

What is involved in the vacuum side of things?

Awaiting for any info to assist.

Thanks.

Comment

There's a fuel line that runs from the petcock to the carbs...and then there's fuel passages connecting each of the carbs. I have found those can clog up...but you can't really see it easily.

~Adam

Comment

Working...
                              X