Installing clutch plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing clutch plates

Is there anything I need to look out for in particular?

Should I thread lock anything? And do I just cover the plates in oil?
    Thanks in advance, it'll be my first clutch install, the plates just came in yesterday.

'85 GS700es

Look at the shop manual to see if you need any locktite.

Be sure to look at the clutch basket to see if there are any grooves, cracks, etc.

Before you put the fiber plates in be sure to get some oil on them. You don't have to soak them in oil just make sure they are coated on both sides.

If the clutch gaskets doesn't come off in one piece be sure to spend some time to clean the mating surfaces. Put a little oil on both sides of the gasket will make it easier to pull off the next time.

Comment

As always, you should have an in. lb. torque wrench, & torque pressure plate & clutch cover bolts to spec. It's easy to strip the tiny aluminium threads with a small steel bolt
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Check the steels for crowns too. They may not be perfectly flat. Turn the crowns all one direction.

Comment

I used this article as a reference when I did my first clutch job and everything went fine. It's very informative and comes with pictures (similar enough to a GS).

Good luck!
          Jon
          16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
          13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
          78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
          Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
          02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
          12 Aprilia Shiver 750
          82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Check the clutch bolts very carefully for thread streatch. Replace them if their is any question about their condition.

Comment

Working...
            X