Vented Tank Cap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vented Tank Cap?

My GS1100GL wouldn't start this morning. I opened the tank cap and it had a serious vacuum in the tank. After the air rushed in I put the cap back on and it started right up. Are these caps supposed to vent air into the tank?

There should be a check valve in the cap. It's pretty small and can get clogged with fuel

Comment

If you remove the cap and turn it upside down you will ssee two small screws....yes that means it can be taken apart and cleaned...sort of. It may not come completely apart, but it should be enough to allow flushing.

Soak and/or flush it in Varsol, blow dry with air and reassemble.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

What's Varsol? Some exotic canadian moose urine elixir?

What would be the US equivalent?

But yes, you can remove the screws, partially disassemble the fuel cap, and flush it out with your local favorite mild solvent.

Also, I think new fuel caps for "L" models are still available and not too expensive.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
          What's Varsol? Some exotic canadian moose urine elixir?

What would be the US equivalent?

But yes, you can remove the screws, partially disassemble the fuel cap, and flush it out with your local favorite mild solvent.

Also, I think new fuel caps for "L" models are still available and not too expensive.

Excellent detective work!!! VERY impressive!! That was one that I did not think was even on Google!

Some time ago a couple of enterprising Canadians discovered that the urine of their pet elk Var had unusual properties. They found this when the elk entered a garage where they had some engine parts on the floor, and the elk passed these properties on the parts.

Initially astonished at the results of this passing, they saw a commercial value, and decided to bottle it. After finding it was not stable (perhaps because it was in the garage) a couple of chemical enhancers were used.

This, of course, was done in the days prior to silicone inserts, but the supporting chemicals worked very well in the new solvent, which they thought could only be properly named after the elk, thus VAR-SOL was born. Since then, the couple have cherished every "passing" moment.
          Last edited by argonsagas; 02-18-2006, 01:50 PM.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
          X