Gs 850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs 850

well hello everyone, its been while since i have been on here, actually its been so long my name got deleted, haha o well, well to get to the point i have a 1981 GS850G and it has had alot of mechanic money wasted since it seems like i have to take it back to him to have the carbs cleaned every 3 months, the carbs have all new hardware inside them,the tank has been bead blasted on the inside and coated and still the left 2 carbs are not fireing once again and i will be damned if i take it back to him, i want to learn it on my own and i remember seeing a post a long time ago with pictures on how to rebuild the carbs, my only concern is that i have to retune them and i do not have the tool to do it, but it doesn;t make any sense to retune them if i am just cleaning them out i guess any help would be useful right now since i am bored and its minus 9 outside with a windchill of minus 26.

Thanks

Jim

Are you not riding the bike very often? This might explain why the gas is not doing well. Otherwise, you may have filled up just after the tanker finished
    restocking the tanks at the gas station. That would give you some of the sediment that gets disturbed when the tanks are restocked.

Your first priority should be to install an in-line fuel filter. Just snip the fuel line and slip it in place. There are a number of them available, and they cost less than $5. Be sure to get one that fits under your tank.

The full carb clean-up information is on the site in the section called "In the Garage".

Do not worry about tuning them at this time, as cleaning seems to be the critical thing.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

well it does have an inline filter, so my question is why it would run awesome on just 2 cylinders and nothing on the others, i am sure cleaning the carbs is a very simple task, i mean i have two harleys that i have built from the ground up, so i am going to check out the garage part of this forum to figure it out!!

thanks for the help

Jim

Comment

I have a some what simple question. Do you leave your bike on the side stand or center? My 83 always starts to act funny if I leave it on the side stand for more then a few days. Over time is would cause other issues but it wasn't anything some cleaner ran through the tank didn't fix. After searching through this site and consulting with my local expert (Focus Frenzy), once carbs are cleaned and Sync'ed correctly you shouldn't have any problems for a good while. Leon has 140k+ now and he had to do minimal carb work if I remember correctly.

Comment

you know what man, i did put it on the center stand so i could make more room in my garage, i hardly ever use it,thats kinda odd, and well i did check out the cv carb rebuild and it seems very simple but i have a few questions about it, this guy pretty much takes everything off to clean them and like i said before i do not want to have to resync the carbs so is there a different way to clean them up without taking the sync air screws out???? if so let me know. oh one more thing what is the best cleaning solvent?

Jim

Comment

The carb cleaner works great.

If you haven't torn down the carbs before then I would start with this and run at least two good tanks. It's easier then jumping in the deep end. Could be a multitude of things that could be the problem so start with that. My two cents with fuel filters, they cause more problems then they are worth. I could guestimate and say that with the filter you are having a problem with the vacuum not pulling enough fuel through all carbs.

Comment

No way to rebuild the carbs, or even clean them right without taking them off the bike. Floats and O-rings, gaskets etc. can't be put in carb cleaner or you will ruin them. You may need new float bowl gaskets as well. You will have to re-synch....sorry no way out of that, but that's pretty standard maintenance task. There are several good carb cleaners out there, I used Berryman's (Autozone) it comes in a gallon can and has a little mini-parts holder and it did a good job, some here on the forum recommend others.

You need some form of compressed air as well to blow out passages etc.

Check out the carb rebuild article on the homepage, that will give you an idea of what you're up against.

Check out how to set your float settings, and how to do a basic bench synch.

Some above mentioned some cleaners that you can put in your tank and "clean while you drive". I'd probably try that first, can't hurt.
              Last edited by Guest; 02-18-2006, 03:36 PM.

Comment

I also had the same problem with my 850 for a while. It would run on one cylinder, then 2, then 3, etc. Problems when away when I put in new plugs. Check for weak connections at your spark plug caps (where they hook to the plug wires) or cracks in the wires. A weak battery can mess you up too when it comes to your electrical system. When you are testing make sure your battery is fully charged.

Comment

ok well i am going to go change the filter, plugs, and gas and if that doesn;t work i am gonna clean the carbs out, i guess my next question is what to use for syncing them in, i prefer a store bought item instead of a homemade contraption.

jim

Comment

Don't be afraid to clean the carbs. It's easier than it looks. I was scared to death of doing it then one weekend with the wife out of town and the aid of a case of Moosehead, I got it done. After you do one carb the remaining three are all easy.

Comment

well i am not affraid to do it i just want to be able to resync them so it will run good any tools to do this lol?????

Jim

Comment

You will need a manometer to synch the carbs. You can get one for about $40 at ronayeres.com. It's called the Motion Pro economy carb synchronizer. Where do you live? You could probably convince a member to help you out if you live close to them.

Comment

i live in edgerton wisconsin its about 17 minutes south of madison.

Comment

Working...
                          X