1980 GS 550 L H4 Headlight Bulb Replacement w/PICS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS 550 L H4 Headlight Bulb Replacement w/PICS

Hi again everyone. I've done some reading about H4 bulb replacement on here, but I'm still a bit confused. My stock headlight has the replaceable H4 bulb and I want to upgrade to something as bright as I can get. My headlight lens had the reflective interior falling off from condensation so my local repair shop had a 1000L light lens sitting around that they sold me along with the rubber "bulb gaurd" that I was missing. So now that I have a new lens, I want to get the best bulb for it.
    1. Can anyone recommend a bulb brand and specs?
    (My bulb says "Candlepower H4 12V 100/55W)

Good H4 bulbs like SilverStars are expensive sold in pairs and I only need one.
    2. Does anyone have a really good/bright spare bulb similar to Silverstar that they want to sell? Or can you recommend a cheap online dealer?

I'm assuming that "100/55W" means 100W highbeam and 55W low beam.
    3.Can I step this up to higher wattage or is that a no-no with GS electrical systems?

Another outstanding H4 high performance bulb, and the equal of the Osram Silverstar is the Philips VisionPlus. They are very close in brightness and overall performance (beam focus, etc) and the Osram will barely win one test and the Philips another. These bulbs are both excellent and their brightess is unsurpassed in the 60/55 H4 bulb category.

The Philips bulbs can be ordered now in the US from California Sports Touring at Philips VisionPlus H4 Bulbs at $14.49 for one or $27.80 for two plus $4.05 USPS Priority Mail Shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by Boondocks
      These bulbs are both excellent and their brightess is unsurpassed in the 60/55 H4 bulb category.
      Thanks for the great info, but the bulb that I pulled out of my headlight says 12V 100/55W. Is it supposed to be 60/55? What's the difference?

Comment

60/55 is the maximum legal wattage allowed for an H4 bulb for onroad use. A 100/55 bulb is supposed to be for offroad use only. They generate a lot of extra heat and can cause problems if not installed properly. You don't need that type of bulb if you have a good one as recommended, and it won't place as much load on the battery and switches in a normal installation.

Although the Philips bulb says "For offroad use only" at the site, this is because it's an import and hasn't gotten the official seal of US approval. Don't worry about it. The bulb is not overpowered and is used all over the world.
        Last edited by Guest; 02-18-2006, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Great! Thanks for the info! If you look closely at the picture above you can see that the reflective innards of the lens seem little burnt. I thought this was from condensation lossening it up, then getting too close to the bulb, but I bet it was all just from excessive heat from the bulb that the PO put in. hhhmmmmm? Well, i think that I'm going to pic up one of those Phillips VisionPlus bulbs. thanks agian!

Comment

I bought a single Silverstar H4 bulb at O'Reily. It seemed like it was less than $20 if I recall correctly. I'm very happy with it.

Comment

Originally posted by ddaum
              Great! Thanks for the info! If you look closely at the picture above you can see that the reflective innards of the lens seem little burnt. I thought this was from condensation lossening it up, then getting too close to the bulb, but I bet it was all just from excessive heat from the bulb that the PO put in. hhhmmmmm? Well, i think that I'm going to pic up one of those Phillips VisionPlus bulbs. thanks agian!
              You're welcome. Although I couldn't be sure from looking at the picture, I thought it was more likely the heat from the bulb causing the problem with the reflector instead of condensation. The headlight was designed for a 60/55 watt bulb, and 100 watt high beams have been known to melt bulb receptacles, etc..

Speaking of heat, some cooktops are powered by halogen bulbs. I am not making this up.

I think you will be very happy with the Philips bulb. Be careful not to touch the glass part of a halogen bulb with your fingers. The oil from your skin will adhere to the glass and interact with the extremely high heat these bulbs generate. This would result in the bulb burning out prematurely.

Comment

Walmart has twin packs of H4 Silverstars for $36 and change ... the extra bulb stays ON the bike as a spare, and I always run the brights during the day. This extends the life of the low beam for night riding.

The brightness is unmatched by anything else I've seen personally, and having the extra bulb provides peace of mind. No need to tax the GS electrical system with a higher wattage bulb that won't generally outperform the 65/55 Silverstars...

Most of the Chicagoland GS group runs Silverstars and with little exception we love 'em!

Regards,

Comment

where can I purchase these Osram h4 silverstars?

These will fit a 83 gs850GL right?
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-24-2006, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Pep Boys has the Sylvania H4 Silverstar bulb for right around $20. H4 will fit the stock GL headlight.

Comment

cool thanks!

Comment

The Sylvania Silverstar H-4 bulb which is tinted blue is not the same bulb as the superior clear Osram Silverstar. The blue Sylvania Silverstar is not as bright and it will burn out sooner. I wouldn't buy a blue Sylvania Silverstar.

You can buy a Osram Silverstar H-4 Bulb for $14.49 (or $27.80 for two) and a few bucks for shipping to your door. The Philips Vision Plus 50 H4 Bulb is equal in brightness and quality to the Osram, and is another good choice.
                        Last edited by Guest; 04-24-2006, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X