80 and 83 GS850GL wheel and fork swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 and 83 GS850GL wheel and fork swap

Hello, I have a 1980 and a 1983 GS850GL. The 83 has a bad motor, but has new tires and good forks while the 80 has a good motor and is registered, but has bad tires and pitted leaky forks. I am on a very strict budget here, I got both bikes over time for $300 ea. I noticed the wheels are a different type of mag, and the 83 has a 16 inch rear wheel compared to a 17 on the 80. Before I tear both apart, has anyone done this swap or know if it will work? I also have a GS550E that I am currently riding. The 850 just seems like a little better fit for me. I might even keep both, have to make up a story for the wife though...:-D
    Any help with my winter project would be great. Thanks, Michael.

You can swap the wheels on the bike. Consider it an upgrade as the 83 rims should have "Tubeless" stamped on both of them so now you can run tubeless tires. Don't worry too much about the difference in the size of the rear wheel. It will fit on the splines of your final drive. Just make sure to lube the splines on the wheel and final drive w/ some moly paste.

Comment

Their is very little difference between the 16" & 17" rear wheel When mounted, the Tire height is the same The fork swap should be very easy
      It will make the bike turn in slower but after you ride it for a while you will never notice it. Make sure to use the matching fender

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I am finally getting started. I have the old rear wheel removed, I lubed the splines on the newer 16 inch wheel, put it up there and noticed the spacers don't fit. I also noticed the spacers on the 83 bike are different. I tried a few different combinations with no luck so far. The rear brake drags, not lined up properly. I will have another go at it today. Has anyone done this before? and what did you use for the spacer between the wheel and the brake mounting bracket, and the spacer between the bracket and the frame? Thanks, Mike.

I also noticed recently the parts bike is an 81 not a 83.

Comment

Working...
        X