Gas Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas Tank

MY 1980 GS850L I just purchased needs some repairs. It last ran last summer and developed a cdi problem. Only running on inside two cylinders.It has been stored outside under a tarp all winter. The Gas tank has some rust.I have removed the tank is there a liquid solution I can fill it with and let it set to clean or how do I remove the rust. The Gas cap needs replaced to.

Your igniter box is probably OK. Your ignition problem is probably your right-side coil, which powers cylinders 2 and 3. Try switching coil leads. If the problem moves to cylinders 1 and 4, then you will know that you need a new coil. Try a product called POR-15 for your fuel tank or try Sudco (google search).

Comment

Ebay has a gas tank for GS850G, brand new. $30 +$30 S&H. No bids so far.

Tom
      sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

coil

If it is your coil I have an extra one. Contact me if you need one.
        Bill
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I can vouch for the effectiveness of the POR-15 tank reseal kit. Used that on my GS850GLX this past November. "That stuff's slicker'n snuff and not near as dusty!" Take the time and do it right. Follow the instructions and do everything step by step. Give a holler if you want additional advice

Comment

Originally posted by themess
            Ebay has a gas tank for GS850G, brand new. $30 +$30 S&H. No bids so far.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuk...QQcmdZViewItem

Tom
            that tank is locked and he has no key and probably no clue to what is
            left in the tank or it's condition.

And unlike some others I've had good sucess with Kreem on 4 tanks I've
            done so far. IF you prep the tank correctly.

Comment

I used about a pound of drywall screws. I shook it like hell for about an hour total. That loosened up the big stuff. I then washed it out with Simple Green and water. After that, muratic acid was used full strength for about 15 minutes. I did a final rinse with water, letting it flow through the tank for about 10 minutes. I didn't put any sealer in it. It's doing good so far.

Comment

Por-15 is the shiz-nizzle....I have used it two seperate times and had great luck. The second time I didn't really need it, but didn't want to get rust even started, so I just went ahead and did it. Know someone who used it on a old yamaha and has had great luck too!

Comment

Working...
                X