Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Conflicting Clymer instruction..how many pins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conflicting Clymer instruction..how many pins?

So I'm strapping the old beast back together (just in time for a 20 degree cold snap) and I've confused myself timing the cams back up. The Clymer states:

"there should be 20 pins between the timing marks on the exhaust and intake cams".

I interperet that instruction to have 20 pins between the two marks, but not including. So if you were to count pins starting at one of the marks, you would have 22 pins from one to the other.

The diagram, however, shows 20 pins from mark to mark, and that would be 18 between.

Anyone have any idea what I'm asking here? Am I overthinking it? Why don't I mark timing when I take everything apart?

The 1 st pin is directly over the 1st mark and the 20th pin is directly over the 2nd mark. Not counting the marks, there will be 18 pins between them.

Earl

Originally posted by qslim
    So I'm strapping the old beast back together (just in time for a 20 degree cold snap) and I've confused myself timing the cams back up. The Clymer states:

"there should be 20 pins between the timing marks on the exhaust and intake cams".

I interperet that instruction to have 20 pins between the two marks, but not including. So if you were to count pins starting at one of the marks, you would have 22 pins from one to the other.

The diagram, however, shows 20 pins from mark to mark, and that would be 18 between.

Anyone have any idea what I'm asking here? Am I overthinking it? Why don't I mark timing when I take everything apart?
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by qslim

I have both the Clymer, and the factory Suzuki manual. That Clymer manuall SUCKS. My info will be in reguards to an 1100 right from the factory manual. Looking at the cam sprockets from the right side of the engine on the exhaust cam you will see a stamped arrow with a "2" next to it. Directly above that arrow is pin #1. On the intake cam is the same arrow with a "3" next to it , and that arrow lines up with pin #20 . So it's 18 pins between the 2 arrows. This info is assuming you have the engine lined up with the "T" looking through the signal generator hole .

Comment

Got it. That was the way I was leaning, thanks for confirming.

Comment

Working...
        X