For those with an oil pressure gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those with an oil pressure gauge

I just installed an oil pressure gauge for my 1000, mounted at the oil galley bolt on the right side.

It works well, and registers between 2 and 7 psi when I first start it. But after it has warmed up completely, it does not register anymore... only if you give it a good blip on the throttle. I know these bikes have low pressure, but was wondering if maybe the gauge is bad. For those who have installed a gauge like this.... does yours still register after warm-up?
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Sounds about right. When the engine is cold the oil pressure is high enough to register on a 15psi gauge. Once it warms up and thins out, the pressure drops to a couple of psi. Nothing to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy
      ....Once it warms up and thins out, the pressure drops to a couple of psi. Nothing to worry about.
      I know it drops pretty low, but was hoping the gauge would register the couple of pounds. I think I'll take the gauge back and try another one?
      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

If it conserns you I would remove the clutch to gain access to the oil pump
        & replace the 2 O rings on the pump. Remove the oil pan & make sure the strainer is clean

Comment

Gauge

I agree with Lynn, prevention is the best medicine.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
            If it conserns you I would remove the clutch to gain access to the oil pump
            & replace the 2 O rings on the pump. Remove the oil pan & make sure the strainer is clean
            Do you have a gauge like mine? Does it register after warm-up?
            85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Well I think it's not normal to see no pressure at all, especially on the revs. I once had this when I fitted an ''R'' oilcooler onmy turbobike and the pickup couldn't suck oil anymore due to a low oillevel (the oil drains from the cooler in the sump when off and then gets pumped away so low level). So I suggest you check your oil level!

Marco.

Comment

So where did you source that gauge from?

I'm interested in one for checking my oil pressure once in while (I don't think I'd have it permanently fitted to the bike).

Cheers,
                Mike.

Comment

Where could I get one of these oil gauges?

I've tried to find a gauge for my '79 750L! I'd love to know what's going on with the pressure!

Comment

I will be selling a kit starting next week on e-bay. It will include an adapter fitting, chrome 90 degree elbow, and your choice of the brushed aluminum gauge like mine, or one with a white face. A very nice looking set-up. I'll have pics in a couple of days. $48.00 plus freight. GSR members $40.00 plus freight. I'll make a post when it happens.
                    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce
                      I will be selling a kit starting next week on e-bay. It will include an adapter fitting, chrome 90 degree elbow, and your choice of the brushed aluminum gauge like mine, or one with a white face. A very nice looking set-up. I'll have pics in a couple of days. $48.00 plus freight. GSR members $40.00 plus freight. I'll make a post when it happens.
                      Does it register oil pressure, or do we just use it for looks? :-D

Comment

Originally posted by hungryman
                        Does it register oil pressure, or do we just use it for looks? :-D
                        Well, in my case it looks like it's my bike. I bought the o rings and am going to get them in this weekend. I'll let you know. The gauge does register a little after warm up.... about 1 psi @ 6,000 rpm. Same result from three different gauges. New o-rings should fix it.
                        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Do you have any idea what the factory spec is for your bike's oil pressure? I certainly think you should be seeing a couple of psi. It could also be that the gauge you're using has a falloff in accuracy at the bottom of the range.

Comment

Some of the problem I think is where the gauge is mounted it does not see the same oil pressure that the engine sees maybe I'm wrong ?? But then my oil light has never worked It will either run or blow up I just make sure it has oil. I had a gauge on a CB750 it was more trouble than it was worth

Comment

It should read fine right where it is. I'm running 750 gears on my 1100 oil pump, so it should read a bit higher, but not reading at all has me wondering about the guage.

Comment

Working...
                              X