1980 GS850G Handlebar Alternatives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS850G Handlebar Alternatives?

Hi folks - I've had the GS850 for more than 2 years and just recently had an unplanned "off road incident" :shock: thanks to gravel in the roadway (big curve). Thanks to the foresight of engine guards (don't leave home without them) the damage was very minimal. I did notice that the handlebars are pretty tweaked and wanted to replace them. I wanted to do this without having to modify cables, lines and hoses. I was always partial to the superbike/daytona style bars and see a good selection in the Dennis Kirk website. Was wondering if their 7/8 in Daytona style Center Width: 5 in.,End Rise: 6 1/2 in., Pullback: 7 in.,Rise: 3 1/2 in., Width: 29 1/2 in. would result in zero modifications to contols/cables/hoses required? I don't have a lot of experience in these types of changes and sure could use some guidance. Any of you folks change to these types of bars with minimal troubles. Pleased with comfort/handling?

Here's the stock handlebar specs - "classic suzuki" handlebars: Width 29.5" Rise 4.5" Pullback 9.5" Center Width 5. Looks very close. You shouldn't have any trouble with cables. Comfort is subjective, maybe you can find someone who has these bars & try 'em out.

Terry

Comment

I put Daytona bars on my GS 750 in place of the wheelbarrow handles it came with, and it greatly improved riding position and control. I didn't change any cables or hoses, and never had a problem in the 3 years since I swapped the bars.
      1979 GS 1000

Comment

The Daytona bend bars are a pretty standard ergonomic upgrade for a GS. Lots of us have them, including me. The bike wouldn't be rideable for more than 50 miles with the stock wheelbarrow tillers.

Since the Daytona bars are actually shorter, the only cable/hose problem was the brake line, which had an extra half-loop in it for years before I finally invested in stainless steel braided lines. It took a little thought and care to make sure the few excess inches of wiring and cables was out of the way, but everything worked great.

Here's what they look like on my GS850GD:

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

This is not a direct answer to your query, but it is related.

WhenI bought my 1100G it came with superbike bars , which had a nice pullback that left my hands out of most of the airstream that passes the fairing.

When I bought the GK, and decided I liked it better, I switched its stock bars over to the G .

A few weeks ago I got QUITE a surprise. The G was parked in the yard, (I have the GK and the Honda in the garage, and no more room) and it fell over in a high wind..

I knew that was not a good thing as I have picked this bike up before: it is not an easy lift, and this time it was raining and just above freezing.

Leaning down, and scrambling around through the wet tarp to find the bars, I set myself for a tough lift, bent my legs, grabbed the grips and hauled up hard. I got a major surprise....the bike came up so easily, and so quickly, that I nearly tossed it over the other way!

It seems the difference is leverage in the bars....the stock ones are MUCH easier to deal with if the bike goes down.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I have my stock bars for sale if you want those.

Comment

Thanks for the offer, but I prefer riding with the bent/pull back bar. I think I also prefer having the bike upright, so the advantage of leverage is nice, but hopefully not needed. :;

Even then, I may have an original bar from a GS850, and a bunch of other parts, if my ex has not cleaned out the garage and discarded them.
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Your answers all extremely helpful - thanks a million! I think I'll go ahead and order those daytona bars as replacements.

Comment

Working...
                X