Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How well to Air cooled GS's handle hot weather and stop n go traffic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How well to Air cooled GS's handle hot weather and stop n go traffic?

Just thought I'd throw out this question to any of you with more experience on the matter. In the summer I ride to work pretty much every day, and unfortunatly the ride home can be anywhere from 20-40 minutes of stop and go traffic crawling. I have also been caught in traffic chos on the highways where I have been stop and go for as much as an hour.

In very warm weather, I have noticed what seemed to be a little power lost, and the engine seemed to really radiate heat. My question is this:

Will driving in heavy traffic overheat and damage my engine? Or do I have nothing to worry about?

I wouldn't worry about a thing. Been doing the same thing for years. The heat bothers me much more than it bothers the 1100. I put up with it.

Comment

a oil cooler with a small fan to move the air when still can be your friend.

Comment

The engines get toasty hot in summer traffic but they seem to survive OK; I've never heard of one seizing because of slow progress through traffic heat, put it that way.

I suppose the real question is, Does all this extra heat affect the longevity of our wonderful air-cooled GS/GSX engines? Lots of folks recommend the fitting of oil coolers (and so do I), esp. if the engine has been bored-out and has non-standard cams, ported head, etc. Or as people like to say, 'hotted up'.

But for all that, I haven't seen any actual statistics or anything on longevity or engine wear, in engines with oil coolers vs. those without. Let alone any stats on the temps that our engines get to with oil coolers fitted, vs. those that don't have them.

Sooo... if you don't fit a cooler, you'll be OK. Fit a cooler, and have greater peace of mind. And here endeth my 2-cents worth.

Mike.

Comment

My GS1000G would get rather rattly in hot weather and lots of traffic. Fitting an oil cooler makes it run noticably quieter. Then again, it might just be my imagination telling the brain cell that counts my money that it was money well spent. :-)

Kim

Comment

Hmm, I'd be willing to bet that it's not your imagination! Air cooled engines can get desperately hot sitting in summer traffic, and extreme heat knocks the oil's viscosity for six.

Mike.

Comment

My 450 went from southwest of Houston to northeast of Houston on a daily basis in the summer, no problems.

Hwy59 through downtown is no picnic... I don't mis that at all

Comment

I had an issue with my exhaust valve seals going bad do to heat, from stop and go traffic, more stop, then go. That was a modified engine though, and produced much more heat then a stocker. The only other thing is the clutch getting grabby, to the point of having to adjust the cable. No lasting effects from that one though.

Comment

Roadwarrior,

I can tell you that the 2 valve models from your era (77-79) do not fair that well in 85+ degrees fahrenheit. Engine killer? No, but your pipes may blue a bit and you'll notice a decrease in performance. My 78 750 is the same bike as your plus a few extra CCs and I avoid in town stop and go if it is 90+ outside.

I notice you hail from Toronto and while it doesn't get wildly hot up there, I know it's hot in traffic when you're among all those cars and blazingly hot black top. If you're electric starter is in good shape, I would just kill it if you know you're going to be stopped for a while.

I've never seen any oil coolers for our bikes, but that doesn't mean you couldn't modify one to fit your 550.

-Jon
                  16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
                  13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
                  78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
                  Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
                  02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
                  12 Aprilia Shiver 750
                  82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Extensive idling will break down the oil a little faster, so you'll want to invest in good synthetic or semi-synthetic motorcycle oil (Golden Spectro seems to keep my bike a little less rattly than others.)
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

use a synthetic with a high number in the summer--5/50--20/50 and if you are one of those lucky aussies 20/60. my oil temp is noticably lower when i use synthetic oil. naturally the oil cooler is another option.

Comment

I always use 20W50 Mobil 1 synthetic in the summer. I found that with 10w40 regular motorcycle oil, the bike didn't shift as well when it was hot.

Comment

At times here in sacramento Ca. when the temp gets into the tripple digits the 1100 seems to get a little ****y, but I think I suffer more than the bike does

Comment

You could just avoid the traffic by splitting lanes, if that's legal where you're from. Living in the city, its a fact of life for me. I would second (third? fourth?) the idea of a oil cooler if you don't already have one.

Comment

I have a cooler on my lil' 450, but it was in the desert for a bit, and I figured it could not hurt...

Comment

Working...
                              X