Baking between coats??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baking between coats??

Since I'm sort of in the middle of painting right this minute, I hope for a quick reply. I am painting my cases & planned on baking them in the oven @300 for 1 hour to cure the paint. It has now become apparent that I will need 2 coats of paint. Should I be baking the cases between coats or after the 2 coats are finished?

Please reply asap.

Paul
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Are you suing powder coat? If not, there is no need to bake anything.

Incidentally, if you bake plastic cases, you better have a second set.

Comment

It says what I'm doing in my post.

I'm "painting" my "cases" & the paint manufacturer recommends "baking the painted part at 300* for one hour". I am using Plasti-kote low gloss black engine enamel in the aerosol can. This paint is highly recommended by others on this site.
      80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Earl is probably the best one to reply, but I see no reason to bake between coats. Baking is usually the final stage.

That said, you should follow manufacturer instructions on time between the application of the two coats, as there will likely be a minimum cure period if a second coat is not done within the allowed application times.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I do hope you are single and live alone.
          baking painted engine parts in a wifes oven, does give her the right to invoke the "till death do we part" clause of the marrage vows.

I think you do wait till all coats are on before baking, but I would check plasti-kote's web sight for FAQ's or a tech-Q phone number.

Comment

LOL

How true, but hopefully I'll be able to do it when she's at work. I will check the Plasti-kote website.

Comment

Wow, I just got off the phone from talking to tech support for Plast-kote in Medina, Ohio. The were extremely helpful & courteous.
              For anyone who wants to know you do not have to bake between coats. Baking after all coats are applied is what they recommend.

Paul

Comment

OK, now that that is resolved, and in line with Leon's suggestion, I would recommend that you inform her W E L L in advance, plying her with flowers or whatever else one full day before you open your mouth.

There are seven main reasons, and you had best pay attention to them all:

1-women are possessive, as in "Not in MY oven!"

2-women think the worst, and will inevitably foresee you ruining the oven

3-women are possessive, as in "Not in MY oven!"

4-women think the worst, and will inevitably see a mess in the oven

5-women are possessive, as in "Not in MY oven!"

6-women think the worst, and will inevitably think of the smell in the kitchen

7-women are possesssive, as in "Not in MY oven!".

Be sure you do not ruin the oven, make a mess of it, and do it early enough that you get rid of every trace of smell, except the fragrance of the flowers.

Good luck.
                Last edited by argonsagas; 02-23-2006, 06:14 PM.
                Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I've ruined a few of my wifes tupperware bowls over the years with oil, anti-freeze etc. I've lost my priviledge to the oven forever. Bike mechanics beware.

Comment

Advice from the peanut section here as well... IF you ever have the bright idea to wash and dry your greasy shop rags (Red Dyed) in your family washer and dryer, be prepared to sleep on the back porch for an extended period of time. I have no idea why the project failed so miserably. I had the forethought to rinse the rags in a bucket of mineral spirits first to remove the majority of the actual grease and sludge. That effort notwithstanding, the laundry room (A closet off the kitchen) smelled so strongly of solvent and petroleum products for several weeks afterwards that my significant other swore that I had used all of my "Till Death Do Us Part" excuses and several of the neighbors' as well. Lest just say that she was less than thrilled with my recycling and leave it at that. The cost of alcohol that I used wiping down all interior surfaces of both appliances more than cancelled the savings I'd seen from recycling the grease rags. I actually had to disassemble the electric dryer and replace the heating element a short time later due to inexplicable clouds of smoke that occasionally jetted from the vent outside. Why the spousal unit assumed it had anything to do with my recycling project I don't understand. After all was said and done, she'd run the washing machine through about a dozen times with nothing in it but 4 pairs of my jeans and a homebrew of Clorox & Pine Sol® Cleaner. The washing machine seems to have suffered no long term ill effects, but my clothes closet had the oddest aroma for a loooong time.
                    Well intentioned advice. Take it for what it's worth
                    (Edit) After posting the above, I went back and realized that I'd not put in my two cents worth on the actual topic! Baking between coats is not a good idea with any type of standard enamel or lacquer paints. The baking process closes and seals the pores of whatever coat of paint is exposed, and additional coats will have great difficulty in adhering, unless you go behind the baking job and scuff the surface with a fine wet-dry sandpaper. It's the same difficulty you run into if you simply allow too much time between paint coats, or too much time after priming. If the exposed coat dries/cures too thoroughly, the next coat that goes on will not adhere. Finish all coats that are going into a paint job, then bake if you're going to bake at all. The heat will penetrate through all coats and have the desired effect of curing and hardening all the way down to the base material.
                    Last edited by Guest; 02-24-2006, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones
                      It says what I'm doing in my post.

I'm "painting" my "cases" & the paint manufacturer recommends "baking the painted part at 300* for one hour". I am using Plasti-kote low gloss black engine enamel in the aerosol can. This paint is highly recommended by others on this site.
                      300 degrees sounds pretty high. Automotive paints are baked at between 140 and 170 degress.
                      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Very informing and interesting thread. I just can't believe that you men are afraid of your wives wrath. WHY IN MY HOUSE.....whats' that dear.....no, I guess the kids did it.......... I promise it wasn't me............wait not the hot bacon grease again!!........please sweetie.....my ear just healed from the last time!!!

Sorry Guys........I gotta go.

Comment

Working...
                        X