Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rear tires

Hey folks:

Will a 150/70-16 (I think that is what I just traded for) fit a bike (80' GS1100E) that is listed as using a 4.5H-17. I have a 16" rear wheel to put the 150/70 on......but I'm am concerned that it will be too wide for the swing arm and rear brake brace. WILL IT RUB OR WILL IT WORK??

Thanks for any input.

Originally posted by dtkid
    Hey folks:

Will a 150/70-16 (I think that is what I just traded for) fit a bike (80' GS1100E) that is listed as using a 4.5H-17. I have a 16" rear wheel to put the 150/70 on......but I'm am concerned that it will be too wide for the swing arm and rear brake brace. WILL IT RUB OR WILL IT WORK??

Thanks for any input.
    A 16" wheel and a 17" tire won't work.
    The tire will not mount on the rim, it's the wrong size.
    16" wheel needs a 16" tire
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

My guess is that it won't fit the only way is to try it... Another caution IS THE RIM wide enough for the tire

Comment

You need at least a 3" wheel to put the 150 on. Anything narrower is going to pinch the sidewalls down and give you a really screwed up profile and a small contact patch. The lower the profile the more critical rim width is.

Comment

Here is a tire size guide.

http://www.dropbears.com/u/utilities/tyrerim.htm

Comment

I have an 83 1100E that I have removed the stock 17" rear rim and installed a 16" rear rim from an 1100L. I have a 140 tire mounted on the stock swingarm.
            It clears the swingarm by about 3/16" of an inch. I think a 150 would scuff the swingarm. Also, as Billy said, there is concern about the profile and mounting that wide a tire on a 3" rim (which is what the 16" L model rim width is). I would not put a 150 width tire on a 3" rim. A 140 width is pushing it.

Earl

Originally posted by dtkid
            Hey folks:

Thanks for any input.
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks Folks:

I won't waste my time mounting the wide 16" tire. I'm glad to know that a 3" rim is required because I will be using a 2.75 rim that came off of a GS750L. So....it appears that I better stay with the 130 width.

Thanks for saving me the hassel of "a lesson learned" thru "failure of desired results".

Comment

Working...
              X