GS750L-air box rubber ends!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750L-air box rubber ends!!!

The large rubber gasket, just under the air box covers: is there something I can use to get those to stick, so I can get them over the box & to stay put, while I can get the cover back on? Somebody, before myself, must'a got the gasket in not-quite-right, & twisted it a little, it is also a little larger than it's suppose to be, but will fit back under the chrome cover, on the box it's self, if I can use some kind'a glue on it to hold it in place while I put the chrome covers back on...I read in the tech pages, that the rubber gaskets have to make a tight fit so as not to let in any air, or I will have a big problem! Worse than I already have! I have a sticking float also, & went to have a look at the air filter, because gas was coming from one of the carbs, through the air filter too. After I had put a rubber hose on the bottom of my 4th carb, where the gas sometimes flows out of when it's sticking. I was going to make a separate listing, but I'll start w/this one. When the carbs begin to spill out from that carb, the hose I have on it keeps the gas from going all over the engine, & I was afraid it'd go up in smoke if I didn't do anything till I found out what to do about it! It doesn't want to run very well, while that's happening. But at other times, it runs like a bat-outt'a-hell! And the hose stops any gas from going all over. My petcock is not working on the "rev" side either. I ran outt'a gas the other day, & switch to that "rev" & it still wouldn't give me any gas to go to the station! So I have another one, but haven't put it on yet.. Can anybody recommend anything I can do? I am on a fixed income & have to do anything I can to save money! I got some carb cleaner to try'n clean the carb-carbs while still on the bike! No cleaner on the rubber parts of the inlet to the manifold either, I read on the page too! Thank god! I don't want to have to take them off if I don't have to! It runs very very well when & just before the float prob! It only had 14K on the '79 now! It is very clean & runs just as well, usually! Please give me any help you may think of. I will appreciate any help at all. I love this site!!!!!

Air box problem!

This is with the question about the gasket. I also wonted to know why my #3 exhaust pipe was not hot like the rest! I don't remember it being that way when I first got this bike! Does it have something to do w/the carbs float sticking? That pipe is still the way it must'a looked when new! It has no coloring on it & it's cold! Now what? Please send anything ya can, I guess on anything! Seems I am running into more than I bargained for! HA! It is idling now & it sounds good! I guess the float isn't overfilling just now! HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!

Comment

For the rubber gaskets, make sure the grooves on the rubber are perfectly cleaned out and the metal airbox is also clean and doesn't have any bent edges. Also use laquer thinner sparingly to clean the rubber gasket grooves and airbox edges to remove oily residue. Ted

Comment

Your #3 exhaust would not heat up to the extent that the others do if that cylinder is receiving a rich-mixture. It may be that your stuck float and screwed up petcock is causing way to much fuel into #3. Rich mixtures don't combust with the same temp. because of a relative lack of oxygen. That problem may go away when you replace your petcock and un-stick the float.

Good Luck: David

Comment

About the GS750 #3 pipe!

After I got off the site, while the bike was warming up, I touched the #3 pipe again & man oh man, was it hot! So I guess it just felt like working right after all! I thought I had tested them for heat, after reading something about a few of the pipes not getting hot from other members. Then went out & checked mine. They worked, back then, but after all this, today, that one #3, stopped getting hot, till I re-touched it! HA! About what the person said about cleaning the air box from dirty having dirty stuff on it & the box, & making sure the grove is completely clean. I need to know if there is something anybody recommends that I can put on it to keep it stuck so when I go to put the cover back on, I can! And don't get it on wrong! It's a little out-of-round, or square that is. And whoever had it before, must'a got it in wrong, 'cause I can see where it had twisted! But it will go on. Thing is I can't get it to stay long enough to get the cover on again! Therefore the reason I am looking for something to hold it on so I don't have to try'n find another one! It'll work again if I can just get it to stay put~!

Comment

Make sure you're putting the rubber gasket on the right side. Thay are not interchangeable. If you still have trouble installing the chrome cover on the airbox, use contact adhesive, again sparingly

Comment

I have no idea what your airbox looks like, but many of us have successfully replaced crumbled airbox end seals on other bikes with foam weatherstripping glued in place with yellow trim and weatherstripping cement.

It's a thought, but may or may not be applicable to your bike's airbox.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I assume you have the model that has the airbox with the end caps that require rubber gaskets. When I got my 790 750, those rubbers were deteriorated to nearly nothing. I stretched a layer of saran wrap over the ends of the airbox and taped it tight. then filled the edges of the endcaps with a giant bead of silicone. Then push the endcaps into place and screw them down lightly so as not to completely compress the silicone. Allow to dry overnight and then remove the endcaps and saran wrap in one piece. Trim excess with a razor blade as needed and you now have new form fitted end gaskets that are stuck to the endcaps.

Earl

Originally posted by 5RON5
                I need to know if there is something anybody recommends that I can put on it to keep it stuck so when I go to put the cover back on, I can! And don't get it on wrong! It's a little out-of-round, or square that is. And whoever had it before, must'a got it in wrong, 'cause I can see where it had twisted! But it will go on. Thing is I can't get it to stay long enough to get the cover on again! Therefore the reason I am looking for something to hold it on so I don't have to try'n find another one! It'll work again if I can just get it to stay put~!
                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

GS750 L; end rubber;air box cover!

I want to thank you people for your very god advice & the outstanding idea you gave me about the plastic rap! My god, what a good idea! You people amaze me all the time! I know getting any help from all of you will be the only reason I could keep my bike on the road! I have so many problems & not hardly enough money to take care of even 1/2 of 'em! With your help, I will suffice! Thank you again! I have more questions, but I think I'd better give it a rest for awhile...

Comment

Working...
                  X