Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'79 Gs750l;float In Tank/wires-gauge?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'79 Gs750l;float In Tank/wires-gauge?????

I have had my bike now since Nov-05, & was told when i got it that there was no float in my tank, that there wasn't a place for one. The dealer said it must be a different tank w/o a place for a float! I finally took off the tank the other day, & discovered where, in fact, the place is for a float! There isn't any wires coming from it, so I took off the cover to where the wire would go. I see where one wire goes, kind'a on top of the round thing, & it looks like maybe there was a place on the middle of that, where another wire could been, but there isn't a place for it. Or there maybe there was, but it looks like the connector that may have been there, broke off. Can anybody help me with any information as to my assumptions? Is there suppose to be a hot electrical wire or a ground wire coming from the center of that area, & if not, what can that be where, on the left side, that 5-6 screws came out of, & has only 1 wire coming from it? I am in hopes of it being the other end of where the gauge is in the tach, next to my speedo! Maybe the other wire just broke off & whoever just left it that way! I've ran out gas so many times since I've had it, getting it to work would be pure heaven!! Anything will help!!!!!

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...highlight=pics

Hi!
    Maybe this could be helpful!(?)

Comment

I would check a wiring diagram for your model/year bike. Also, I set the trip indicator whenever I fill up the tank. all you have to do is note the milage to know when you will be out of gas and when you run out, (if you go that long anyway), you can still switch the petcock to reserve which on my bike is another 5 quarts or about 55 miles. I havent run a bike out of gas in 40 years. :-)

Earl
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Only the riders riding an "80" model GS that has no res. will be excused for running out of gas.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

HA! HA! For running outt'a gas!

I had to laugh at that one! I still think it's funny when I think of it! But whoever posted this one for no excuse for running outt'a gas, your right! There is no excuse! Except that, I might as well be riding w/no gauge, or reserve, because neither do I have! Both are broken & I do set my trip meter, every time I get gas, so I can track my mileage! Thing is, the damn thing, sometimes spins another # when flipping to the next set of #'s, & sometimes again after that! After awhile, It gets pretty old, figuring out just how many times, & which set of numbers did flip, or didn't! My "res" on the petcock, doesn't work after the main "on" is out of gas! Another words, the Res, doesn't work! Nor does the gauge or float or electronics of it! Plus the fact, that I only get 22MPH & it goes down, drastically when another person is on the bike too! I do believe I have covered all the reasons I need to get my gauge or float & the petcock fixed-AND WHY I RUN OUT OF GAS! HA! Other than looking into the tank constantly, or shaking it, I have no idea where I stand w/gas! The bike has only 14,500 & I have put on 1,50 of that. So it is in very good shape I new looking! I've only been riding now since Nov! And I now have another petcock. And just found out that I do have a float in the tank! I was told be the used dealer when I bought the bike, that I had a different tank & this one did not even have a place for a float, even though I have a gauge n the tach area of the bike! So I never thought of looking! But restassured, I will do everything I can to rectify this problem of running out of petrol in the near future! Believe me, it does sound a little stupid of me for even letting everybody know about that! HA! I took a chance in someone feeling a bit like helping such a fool sounding guy w/a gas problem, so I ventured into looking just like you said, about I had no excuse for doing that; like a old fool! But thank you people for all your help, I mean it sincerely, or I couldn't do any of these repairs w/o you! This is the most helpful membership site I have ever been across & the people are not here to gouge or misrepresent anybody! You are the most honest people I had came by way of knowing! I thank each & every one of you! It is truly a pleasure to post here! Thanks!! Ron...

Comment

Hmmm, no operating reserve and an inoperative trip indicator and unconnected gas guage. LMAO sheesh!!! does the odometer work? You could wwrite down the milage on the inside of your visor when you fill up. :-) :-) :-)

Earl
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I'd do the pet cock first, it'll be by far the most accurate. I rarely depend on the fuel guage as they can be very inaccurate. With an "L" model, I think you will have apprx. 3/4 gal. after you hit res. 24mpg, seems very, very low for any GS, but if so, when you hit res, you have 18mi. to find gas. Good luck, looks like you're headed in the right direction
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

'79 GS750L float/wires!

Hay, thanks for the help! HA! That was funny about the writing down my mileage so I wouldn't run out of gas! HA! & yes, my odometer does work, I guess anyway. I am going to start w/the petcock first, because it is the easies & I have a replacement for that part! As for the gauge being very accurate, I would like to at least be able to try it out because it's there, & I was told it wasn't there, & now it's a surprise that it may be repairable! I would love to have everything in working order! So, my gas mileage is very low, at 22MPH, huh? I thought that was quit low myself! Just where is the average suppose to be? Does anybody know? Besides my riding a bit quicker than usual, what could be the reason for that? I mean after I get my problems fixed about the petcock & the over filling float bowl? Even when i didn't have any problems, that I was aware of, I still only got that kind of mileage. Again, thanks for your replies!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X