GS550E Charging problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550E Charging problem

My nephew has a 79 gs550E that has some charging issues. It will run real well with the battery fully charged. It will run for awhile when he uses his lights but after awhile it starts missing and will get better if he turns the lights off and let it run for a bit. He noticed that when he was charging the battery that the starter was hummiing. (he thinks that is what is humming) Where should we start to find our problem?

If the starter is humming, the starter is continuously running. It should not be.
    Either the starter button is stuck in the on position or the starter solenoid is stuck in the on position Unplug the small white striped wire that is attached to the top of the solenoid. That is the energizer lead from the starter button. There is a plug in connector about 8-10 inches away from the solenoid on the white striped wire. If that stops the starter from running, then the starter button is faulty. If it does not, then the solenoid is faulty. The starter button can be taken apart, cleaned and reassembled. The solenoid must be replaced if it is faulty.

Earl

Originally posted by ronimac
    My nephew has a 79 gs550E that has some charging issues. It will run real well with the battery fully charged. It will run for awhile when he uses his lights but after awhile it starts missing and will get better if he turns the lights off and let it run for a bit. He noticed that when he was charging the battery that the starter was hummiing. (he thinks that is what is humming) Where should we start to find our problem?
    Last edited by earlfor; 02-25-2006, 01:00 AM.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thanks for your help. I will have my Nephew read your response and the stator papers as well . Again Thanks

Comment

The other quick check is to get a multimeter and check the voltage at the battery when the bike is running at idle and ~5000 RPM. You would like to see something between 13 at the least, and 15-16 at the max. If it doesn't move from idle to 5000 RPM (or it drops) you may have a voltage regulator / rectifier issue, which my old 550 had.

~Adam

Comment

Working...
        X