Lost Key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost Key

I bought a 78 GS1000 for a restoration project. Unfortunately, I have very limited funds for this project.

The bike didnt come with a key and unfortunately, I believed the guy I bought it off of when he said it would be 50-75 to have it re-keyed.

When I called around to locksmiths in the area one of them told me that he believes the old suzukies all use the same key. Does anyone know if this is true and if so is there a way to get a key? That wont cost me an arm and a leg.

Please help, Im desperate

all keyes are different. New ignition barrels with keyes are allways on Your E bay and at $20 are brilliant. I had one sent to the UK for my GS1000 and it is damm near origional. If you wait tho,second hand ones come up on E bay and include the seat lock.

should have checked the post first as we all know....keyes is spelt KEYS..
    Last edited by Guest; 02-26-2006, 05:10 PM.

Comment

lost keys

two ways:

1) unbolt and remove the lock, it's not that hard. Take it to a older established locksmith shop, the guy you talked to does nt sound that knowledgeable. These bikes used many different keys. Get a key made, along with several copies. I did that and it cost me $35 for 6 keys (I tend to lose them too, so I got extras). The advantage of this approach is that the key thus made will fit your helmet lock and locking gas cap (if you have one).

2) on eBay there are often complete Suzuki GS-series locks with keys sold for under $20. Remove your and replace with one you buy. You save some dough, but you will not have a key that fits the other locks, so 1) is a better choice.

Comment

If you have a helmet lock or seat lock, look for a three digit code (like 564) printed on the face of the key entry. This code describes the key shape and will work for all original locks and ignition on a bike.

A Suzuki dealer or any competent locksmith should be able to provide you with an inexpensive replacement key from this number.
        Last edited by Guest; 02-26-2006, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Hi

Just a sidestep.....
          On my bike I had to use 2 keys.
          The Suzuki key ha 2 sides ...(faces)

So I took one key and removed some of the material on one side,
          so that it looked the same as face on key no.2-
          Now I use 1 key .(the locks only read 1 side)

Waiting for spring...

(70cm of snow here and more on its way)

Comment

Thats a great idea Einar. :-) I can put that one to instant use. eheheh

Earl

Originally posted by Einar J Skog
            Hi

Just a sidestep.....

Waiting for spring...

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by Einar J Skog
              Hi

Just a sidestep.....

Waiting for spring...

Excellent idea....all you need is a vise, a small triangular file, and a bit of patience.

And...I guess it helps to mark the finished key, so you know which locks it fits .
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
              X