Mirrors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mirrors

I'm a tall guy with very broad shoulders. This makes my mirrors almost unusable. Does anyone know of an aftermarket mirror that sits taller then stock or is there a trick to lengthen them? I know I can't be the only one with this problem.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Out of necessity I went with barend mirrors. I picked up a set at a bicycle shop that have good clear mirrors and fit in the end of the bars for about $12 each. The brand is Third Eye.

Comment

long mirrors

I have a 6 feet 4 inch frame with shoulders similiar to a line-backer. Dennis Kirk has a set of long ones that you will probably like. Go to their on-line catalog on their web site. Good luck.

Comment

I'm 6' 6" and I did play linebacker many moons ago. What mirror did you purchase from Dennis Kirk? Thanks for the responses.
        Last edited by chef1366; 02-27-2006, 08:45 PM.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

You could extend the mirrors up a bit by screwing a second mount on the mounts. That would give you another inch.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage
            You could extend the mirrors up a bit by screwing a second mount on the mounts. That would give you another inch.
            Sounds better than a getting a sermon from your mount, especially if you need another inch!
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

long mirrors

Here are the long mirors I ordered.

Please see the link below. Note- I do not work for Dennis Kirk but I think they are pretty good!

Comment

Thanks Semerm, I bought those mirrors and you saved me alot of time weeding through hundreds of Dennis Kirk mirrors. As for Argonsagas, give an inch take an inch!

Comment

I'm thinking of buying bar end mirrors. With bar end mirrors is there a blindspot? Also, I see in various pictures of bikes that the bar end mirror is only mounted on the left side of the handlebar. A right side mirror is not needed? Thanks Ted

Comment

Originally posted by knotzilla
                    I'm thinking of buying bar end mirrors. With bar end mirrors is there a blindspot? Also, I see in various pictures of bikes that the bar end mirror is only mounted on the left side of the handlebar. A right side mirror is not needed? Thanks Ted
                    depends on the local law regarding mirrors.

All mirrors have a blind spot, none cover everything behind you.
                    Keith
                    -------------------------------------------
                    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

You are not the only one with that problem and yes, I have a solution. I cut the mirror stems in half. Go to the hardware store and buy an appropriate length of brass pipe nipple. Cut the threads off, leaving the length of the extension you need. Drill each end of the pipe about 1" deep to the same size inside diameter as your mirror stems. Mix up a little JB Weld and set the stems into the pipe. Wipe off the excess. You can Brasso the pipe to look like gold.
                      The added weight also helps as a vibration damper. Have had a set of em on the 1150 for 4 years now. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by chef1366
                      I'm a tall guy with very broad shoulders. This makes my mirrors almost unusable. Does anyone know of an aftermarket mirror that sits taller then stock or is there a trick to lengthen them? I know I can't be the only one with this problem.
                      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Mirror extensions

Being bigger than most, I've had a similar mirror issue that I resolved by taking 1/4 thick bar, 1-2" long, that I drill for a screw to hold it in to the handlebar threaded hole, and a tapped hole for the mirror to screw in to. The extra mirror thread length then has a nut added as a locknut. Super ugly, but very effective to get the mirrors taller and wider.

Comment

Working...
                        X