GS450t- stupid newbie question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450t- stupid newbie question

Last fall I purchased my first motorcycle, a GS450t. Bought it at a yard sale for $25, with a helmet. Put a battery in it and it started.

there were some minor issues, broken taillights, some frayed wiring, but I managed to get pretty much everything fixed. When I parked it last fall (I still haven't ridden it yet, I have to go take my ABATE class in April) it was starting rough.

Since then I discovered the connector from the inductive sensors had an intermittent open. I squished the metal connectors a teeny bit, and now it starts immediately.

Trouble is, it also immediately begins to race, and I always get nervous and turn it off before it can get too far. Is this normal? I've searched here and found people who say it's most likely a leak around the carbs- the carb boots are crap, but I've glued them together with silicone and so forth, and put fresh O-rings behind the plates, and they seem not to have any leaks (I'll buy a brand new set before I ride it) so I don't think vacuum leaks are a problem. Any ideas, or should I start with the new boots and go from there? My aim is to have this on the road for under $100 (I have $82 invested so far). Once I start riding and enjoy it, then new tires, new other stuff will follow.

Thanks for your patience!

1. Have you tried to vaccum synch the carbs?
    2. Are the synch port bolts back in place?
    3. Is the bike in stock configuration?

The carb boots can be huge. I have tried to seal a bad set, and even checked for leaks with (gasp!) carb cleaner spray. Even when I had no jump in rpm's with the carb spray, new boots fixed a poor idle condition. I'd suggest new boots before going further.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Ok, that's next then

I don't know if this 'carb synching" of which you speak- but I WILL be getting the new boots just because. As I'll have to anyway, I might as well. I cobbled 'em together to try to make it whole, but I might as well do it right. Thanks, I'll get those and post my next stupid queston in a week or two!

Comment

I am asuming you have the choke on.

with the choke on the idle will go up pretty high, you just slowly back it off to keep the engine speed at a resonable level till the engine is warmed up good.

Comment

Okay, here's what I did:

I started the bike (starts in a turn of the starter, almost instantly) and backed off the choke about halfway. At this point, if I gave it some throttle it would run up unless I backed off on the choke. So I let it idle with the choke about halfway on then let it warm up for about a minute and a half. I slowly backed off the choke until it would idle by itself with the choke all the way off. Whole thing took probably less than two minutes. At this point, I could give it throttle and it wouldrun up, seemed very smooth, and as soon as I let off the throttle it would return to idle. Seems like it's gonna be fine.

I'm gonna get new boots on principle, but at least I know these are sealing well, it was only my inexperience causing the problem. Thank you both for the excellent advice!

Comment

Yep, get the new boots. Silicone is not fuel-proof. In fact, one of my favourite ways to remove old silicone from gasket surfaces is to rub it with rag soaked in petrol. It goes all crinkly in no time. So guess what will happen if you use it on your intake manifolds...

Mike.

Comment

ooh, ick!

Thanks for the warning, Mike. I've never heard that about silicone, is that true of Black RTV? I thought that was meant to be used in Gasoline. Anyway, the new boots are a good idea all around, and I'm glad I got the thing running well enough to at least test it. Any idea on ways to keep those spensive boots from turning to inflexible concrete? that's why the old ones broke off.
              Last edited by Guest; 03-01-2006, 03:57 PM.

Comment

The color of the silicone makes no difference. None of it has any use on a motorcycle. I wouldnt worry about your new boots. It takes many years for them to harden and crack. UHhh, about 20 or so. LOL

Earl

Originally posted by mhardig
                Thanks for the warning, Mike. I've never heard that about silicone, is that true of Black RTV? I thought that was meant to be used in Gasoline. Anyway, the new boots are a good idea all around, and I'm glad I got the thing running well enough to at least test it. Any idea on ways to keep those spensive boots from turning to inflexible concrete? that's why the old ones broke off.
                Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Yeah, I'm with you on that, Earl... the only times I've been caught using silicone is when I've been busy trying to do a 'repair' on the cheap!

If you must use some sealing compound on a fuel-ish area, use some Permatex "non-hardening gasket cement" (or whatever equivalent they have at your local auto store). It's fuel proof, heat proof, flexible, and comes off easy with a rag soaked in methylated spirits.

And there's nothing you can do about those boots hardening and cracking. It's inevitable. Best to buy a set now before Suzuki stop manufacturing the part! 8-[

Mike.

Comment

"None of it has any use on a motorcycle"

I'm surprised to hear someone say this. To my knowledge, there isn't an auto manufacturer, or second tier manufacturer, who doesn't use tons of the stuff- in fact I've installed several systems at Bosch, Allison, Borg Warner, and several other places that dispense room temperature vulcanizing (RTV) gasket materials as seals on everything form transmissions to windshield wiper motors. Is RTV taboo on bikes? And if so is that a traditions thing, or are there specific reasons why RTV isn't used?

Comment

RTV when it spreads on a gasket, oozes on both sides. Any that comes into contact with hot oil or gas will turn into jello-glue. The oil passages are small.
                      Using it in place of gaskets on float bowls will guarantee clogged carb passages.
                      It isnt a traditional taboo for me. I have opened too many engines and found the slimy gunk. Certainly, anyone is free to use as much of it as they want, anywhere they wish, but If I need a gasket compound, I will buy some Three Bond for the purpose. I say again, if I see any mech using a silicone in engine assembly, he will never do any work for me.

Earl

I'm surprised to hear someone say this. To my knowledge, there isn't an auto manufacturer, or second tier manufacturer, who doesn't use tons of the stuff- in fact I've installed several systems at Bosch, Allison, Borg Warner, and several other places that dispense room temperature vulcanizing (RTV) gasket materials as seals on everything form transmissions to windshield wiper motors. Is RTV taboo on bikes? And if so is that a traditions thing, or are there specific reasons why RTV isn't used?

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Well, you're right, it is popular stuff, but there aren't too many places on our bikes where I can think that the original manufacturer specifies it. The occasional clutch-cover bolt on some models should get a smudge of it, according to the manuals, but that's all I can think of. Suzuki do have their own proprietary stuff, 'Suzibond' or something it's called, but I'm fairly certain that's not silicone.

If you want to use it, you have to go sparingly with it or it just 'beads' inside and out. The outside stuff we wipe away, but the inside stuff... it sits there in beaded globs, just waiting to harden and then come away, and float off somewhere to block something. OK, that's a worst-case scenario but in a carbie it will mess things up for sure. Never use it on a carbie or near petrol, because it does dissolve in petrol.

Whenever I need a sealant, I use something non-silicone. And whatever I use, I use it sparingly!

Mike.

Comment

Ah, gotcha

So it's mostly about retards who have no idea how to use it.

I'd never use RTV on any carb parts, bike OR car,it's just stupid. THe boots I have, I disassembled, bead blasted, blanchard ground the mating surface until it was flat, sanded the old boot surface to roughen it, then used black RTV to attach the disconnected boot to the plate. After it completely cured, I removed all excess both inner and outer. Like I said, it seems to work fine- for testing purposes. I have the new boots on order. I briefly considered casting and machining an adapter that had a ring, and replacing the boots with a short piece of something like radiator hose the right diameter- but if these things last 20 years I won't bother. I just hate to have a maintenance item that dies every year.

RTV is used in cars on transmission surfaces, where an exact-size bead is placed in the spot where, when assembled, it will not protrude after sealing. It's also used to attach things like weatherstripping, to glue airboxes and ducting together, etc. Guess it makes sense that almost none of those things exist on bikes, so not a lot of use for RTV there.

You'll have to excuse my stupid questions, this is all new to me. THis spring when I take my ABATE course, it will be the first time I've ever driven a motorcycle,(well, sober) and I'm 46. So I have everything to learn.

Comment

I expect your new boots will last longer than you will own the bike. :-) I've had to replace boots and boot "O" rings on every old bike I have refurbished.
                            Without exception, all had the original boots and "O" rings. You're good for about 20 years now. LOL Well, not that long on the "O" rings, but hell, they're only a buck each. hehehe

Yep, I agree there are quite a few uses for RTV. Not many on a motorcycle though. :-) There arent any stupid questions. You would be amazed at those that wont spend the $12 for a set of carb "O" rings and fill everything with silicone instead. LOL

Earl

I briefly considered casting and machining an adapter that had a ring, and replacing the boots with a short piece of something like radiator hose the right diameter- but if these things last 20 years I won't bother. I just hate to have a maintenance item that dies every year.

RTV is used in cars on transmission surfaces, where an exact-size bead is placed in the spot where, when assembled, it will not protrude after sealing. It's also used to attach things like weatherstripping, to glue airboxes and ducting together, etc. Guess it makes sense that almost none of those things exist on bikes, so not a lot of use for RTV there.

You'll have to excuse my stupid questions, this is all new to me. THis spring when I take my ABATE course, it will be the first time I've ever driven a motorcycle,(well, sober) and I'm 46. So I have everything to learn.

Comment

You would be amazed at those that wont spend the $12 for a set of carb "O" rings and fill everything with silicone instead. LOL
                              If you were going to do that sh*t, why not just get a piece of goretex and make flat gaskets.

Hell is, after all, other people.

Thanks for your patience and help. I hope I can ride this without killing myself.

When I was 18, speed was the only thing important to me, and frankly, owning a motorcycle would have been a horribly bad idea. Now, I can potentially ride like a sane person and be a little more sedate. ANd I have a lot of twisty country roads nearby, so I look forward to a fun(er) summer.

Comment

Working...
                              X