Change out ignition switch inards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change out ignition switch inards?

I am refurbing an '80 GS1100 and have all the front of the bike torn apart. There is no real problem with the ignition switch, besides being faded out. I was wanting to change out the switch for a new one off of ebay, but have some questions.

Is it possible to have the tumbler swaped over to a new switch so my old key works? Would it be easier to have all the other locks changed over to accept the new key? I did a search, and I didn't find any clear answer.

I don't really need to change it out, it's more of a "while I'm there" type of situation.

Thanks.

Never tried this on a Suzuki but it will not work on the earlier Hondas
    I have tried. They where a sealed componant which you would have to
    break to get access.

Only way to tell is to look at it....if its completely sealed I would'nt try.

Comment

I have had mine apart to check out the failure to make contact. Watch out for the bearing that makes the actual contacts work.....having been kept on springs for a long time, it can be VERY anxious to escape! There is only a copper plate, spring and a bearing in there. so they can be cleaned up readily.

Before you open it, put everything in a clear plastic bag and work inside the bag....parts stay available that way.

I doubt that changing the key sction justifies the effort. That would require removal of the cylinder and replacing it. Possible,? Probably, but also something that askes for parts to get lost unless you have done it before.

I would be inclined to just buy a set of locks off E-bay and replace everything.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Thanks guys, maybe I will wait for a complete set.

Comment

Working...
        X