Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hi noob here with some questions 79 gs1000l I tried the search.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

20 weight oil is pretty doggone thin. :-) In MANY years of using 20w50 castrol, I have not had a single problem with it. I only changed to Mobil 1 because I believe it is a better oil. There was not difference in performance between the castrol and the Mobil 1. I made the change because of decreased internal wear operating temp reduction.

I believe Mobil 1 is one of the best oils available. I only use the 15w50 as it is (as far as I know) the only Mobil synthetic oil without the extended milage friction modifiers.

I always used an .028 gap on my bikes with stock coils. I use .035 if I have Dyna coils.

Earl

Originally posted by gotjeepzj
    that's not too heavy of a motor oil? the 15 weight maybe not because it's synthetic properties, but the 20 weight? Doesn't cause a noticable drag and worse performance?

I also stand corrected on my previous statement on spark plug gap. My clymer manual lists 2 different ranges. On one page it says .024-.028. On another it says .024-.031 is ok
    Last edited by earlfor; 03-02-2006, 01:34 AM.
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Are dyna coils a direct replacement for stock units?

Comment

Yes, they bolt right up in the stock brackets.

Earl

Originally posted by gotjeepzj
        Are dyna coils a direct replacement for stock units?
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Where might I aquire them at? Also where to get good plug wires to go with the coils? I'm assuming the dyna coils are similiar to a high voltage coil in an auto. I run and MSD in my jeep with Magnecor low resistence wires. The higher voltage output aloows for a .05 greater spark gap. Is this similiar

Comment

Get your Dyna S here.

http://www.z1enterprises.com/

Best price too, I think.

Comment

Oil change completed. I used Mobil 1 V twin 20w-50 synthetic. I discovered another problem. The old oil smelled like straight gas. I don't know how old the oil was so I don't know if it's something major or minor. Also correctly gapped spark plugs. Runs smoother and starts quicker.

Comment

Working...
              X