gs 750 chain pitch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs 750 chain pitch?

Need to get a new chain & sprocket kit for my '77 gs 750. Trouble is it has a non standard swing arm and therefore non standard chain length. My usual bike shop dont know what the pitch should be, the manual dosnt tell me and so far all searches have been fruitless. I think its a 630 pitch chain but dont want to spend money on the wrong thing, natch!

The current c/s are standard, obtaining the sprockets is no prob, neither is getting hold of a non standard length chain just need to know the pitch. Any info would be welcome by this newbie gs owner.

Hopefully I will have sorted this out by the end of today myself, but it wont hurt asking the experts will it.

Also, std., o-ring, x-ring? Whats the recomended type from experience guys?

Ta for any help, Ratbloke.

Your bike originally came with a 630 O-ring chain. Some people convert to a 530 with appropriate sprockets, today's 530 chains are more than equal to handling the 750's output. Definitely O or X-ring is recommended, most, if not all, 630s that I've seen don't come in X-ring though.

Comment

All GS 750/s were manufactured with #630 chain and sprockets. The distance pin center to pin center on #630 chain is 3/4" (19mm). The distance between pins on #530 chain is 1/2" (12.7 mm). You might want to measure yours to be sure someone has not already converted it to the #530 chain size.

Earl
      Last edited by earlfor; 03-01-2006, 12:14 PM.
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Hotblack and earlfor, thanks for the info. Its nice to know there are people out there who really know their stuff and are happy to pass it on to newbie numptys like me. Thanks once again guys.
        Paul, aka Ratbloke

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
          All GS 750/s were manufactured with #630 chain and sprockets. The distance pin center to pin center on #630 chain is 3/4" (19mm). The distance between pins on #530 chain is 1/2" (12.7 mm). You might want to measure yours to be sure someone has not already converted it to the #530 chain size.

Earl
          I believe the #530 chain is 5/8"(15.88 mm) pitch rather than 1/2"?
          http://www.gizmology.net/sprockets.htm

Comment

Aw Jeez, I'm sorry Dan. I had a brain fart. You are absolutely correct. #530 is 5/8".

Earl

Originally posted by moto_dan
            I believe the #530 chain is 5/8"(15.88 mm) pitch rather than 1/2"?
            http://www.gizmology.net/sprockets.htm
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
            X