Preference for 530 chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preference for 530 chain

Just a general question to get everybody's ideas.

What chain do you prefer for a 530 conversion on my 83 GS1100E??
    And no, a shaft isn't a option:?

I have run DID in the past and haven't had too much problems but was wondering if anyone knew of a better 530 chain.
    I was hoping to stay with a master link setup but if endless is better, why?
    Besides the possible loss of the link, which hasn't happened to me in the 24 years of riding\\/

I really dig these new font choices
    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
    2000 Kawasaki Concours
    Please wear ATGATT

Originally posted by crag antler

RK 530 X-ring

Comment

Originally posted by beby99
      RK 530 X-ring
      I concur, I use an RK 530 X-ring chain and it's been great. It came with a rivet-type master link, but I went to my local dealer and picked up a clip-type master link for it for less than $10. No problems at all, and the price isn't too outrageous.

Comment

Originally posted by crag antler
        Just a general question to get everybody's ideas.

And no, a shaft isn't a option:?

I have run DID in the past and haven't had too much problems but was wondering if anyone knew of a better 530 chain.
        I was hoping to stay with a master link setup but if endless is better, why?
        Besides the possible loss of the link, which hasn't happened to me in the 24 years of riding\\/

I really dig these new font choices
        YOU KNOCKED lEON OUT OF THE LOOP WITH YOUT SHAFTIE COMMENT DOUG Nice work. I think i will leave the 630 on my gs.. I think.

Comment

630 vs 530

Please inform:

What is really the difference in the 630 and 530 chains? Is it purely a weight issue?

Comment

A 3rd vote for the RK X-ring chain!!!!!!!!!!! They're awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by dtkid
              Please inform:

What is really the difference in the 630 and 530 chains? Is it purely a weight issue?

I have heard it was a weight and also a cost issue.
              Maybe those more knowledgable would know.
              Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
              2000 Kawasaki Concours
              Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Please inform:

Mostly cost and easy availability - 530 chain is far more common.

Modern 530 chain is also far stronger than anything made in the '80s, so there's no real need for 630 anymore.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I have RK 530 x-ring chain on the 1150. Clip type master link. I do only install a clip one time. If I need to remove the master link, it gets a new one.

Earl
                  Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

So what is required to switch from a 630 to a 530??

Comment

You need a list of what bikes use 530 sprockets that will fit the GS suzuki's that were made with 630 setups. You'll need to figure out how many links of #530 chain will be needed for whatever sprocket combination you decide on. considering diameter differences and clearance issues on the swingarm crossmember, you will need to use at least a 17 tooth front sprocket when converting to 530 chain size. I have a list somewhere in one of my ref books. I'll dig it out if you decide to go the 530 conversion route.

Earl

So what is required to switch from a 630 to a 530??

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                        I have a list somewhere in one of my ref books. I'll dig it out if you decide to go the 530 conversion route.

Earl
                        That list sounds like it could deserve a sticky. I stayed with the 630 last time around, but it'd be nice to have a quick reference if I decide to go to a 530.

Brad tt

Comment

Ill take a lookie see Brad. I know its here................somewhere. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by bradleymaynar
                          That list sounds like it could deserve a sticky. I stayed with the 630 last time around, but it'd be nice to have a quick reference if I decide to go to a 530.

Brad tt

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                            Ill take a lookie see Brad. I know its here................somewhere. :-)

Earl

I would deeply appreciate if you could find that earl.
                            I plan on going with a 16 front and a 44 rear sprocket and was trying to figure out the chain length.
                            Jethro was thinking around 114 links:?

thanks in advance.
                            Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                            2000 Kawasaki Concours
                            Please wear ATGATT

Comment

I also notice that when I read the available information in my Parts Unlimited catalog that when converting a 630 GS over to Sunstar 530 sprockets, there is a footnote stating the need for "6mm thick washers". Where exactly do these washers go, and whats there purpose?

Comment

Working...
                              X