Preference for 530 chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Road_Clam
    I also notice that when I read the available information in my Parts Unlimited catalog that when converting a 630 GS over to Sunstar 530 sprockets, there is a footnote stating the need for "6mm thick washers". Where exactly do these washers go, and whats there purpose?
    The 530 sprockets are thinner than the 630. So when you tighten down the
    530 sprocket on the shaft, you run out of thread on the shaft and you
    get a loose sprocket. Thus you need the washers for added thickness.

Comment

I made the washer from a piece of 1/4" thick aluminum plate. Quarter inch is slightly too thick, so once the washer was made, I rubbed it down on a piece of 80 grit emery flat on my table saw top. I used a drill press and two hole saws to cut the inside and outside cuts for the washer. Cut the inside 3/4 of the way through, then cut the outside 3/4 of the way through, then finish the inside and then the outside. Smooth the edges with a palm sander. Works perfectly. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by beby99
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by beby99
        Thanks dude, yo da 530 man!

Comment

I too would like to the reference table/sheet. I think I would like to switch for the sake of the many 530 choices that exist.

Comment

Ok, I found my list of bikes using #530 sprockets that will fit all GS models for those wanting to convert from the stock #630 sprockets to #530 sizes.

Can use a FRONT SPROCKET from:

GSF 1200 Bandit (any)
            GSF 600 bandit (any)
            GSXR 750 1986 to 1997
            GSX 600F Katana 1988 to 2002
            SV 650 (any)
            GSX 750F Katana 1989 to 2001
            Yamaha YZF 600R 1994 to 2002
            FZR 600 R 1989 to 1999
            ZX 600 Ninja (any)
            Any KZ 650 EXCEPT KZ 650H
            KZ 750 1976 to 1979
            ZX 750 Ninja 1987 to 1994
            VN 800 1996 to 2002
            ZX9R Ninja 1994 to 2001

REAR SPROCKETS can be used from:

GSXR 750 1990 to 1995
            GT 750 (any)

My note: This list originally included the 1200 Bandit as using the same rear sprocket as the GS. It will NOT fit.

There are probably others that will also fit, but the above is all I have in my list.

When converting to the #530 size, it isnt a good idea to use smaller than a 16 tooth front sprocket and it is preferable to use a 17 tooth front sprocket.
            There will not be clearance between the chain and the swingarm crossmember
            if a smaller sprocket is used.

Also, a 5mm (actually about 4.5mm) shim washer will be needed on the countershaft when changing to a #530 size sprocket.

Earl.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks earl.
              Is there a formula for figuring out chain length
              Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
              2000 Kawasaki Concours
              Please wear ATGATT

Comment

I found an online site at one time that would compute it for you, but I found in practice that it did not account for the fact that the swingarm pivoting through its arc can change the chain length required by about two links, so it was not accurate enough (in my estimation) to rely on. I used it one time, found on assembly the chain was 2 links short after I had cut it and had to rivet two links back on. HUMBUG!! :-)

My method now is to measure the distance center to center between the countershaft and the rear axle. Draw a line perpendicular to the centers at each end. Add the distance for half the sprocket teeth at each end and add double the centerline distance between countershaft and rear axle. I set the rear axle in the middle of the adjustment range for making the calculations.

Example:
                17 tooth counter shaft sprocket. A 180 deg wrap of that would be 8 1/2 teeth. Distance between countershaft center and axle center 28" (just an example) 28" top run + 28" bottom run or 56" total runs. 530 chain is 5/8" pitch or .625 so, 56 / .625= 89.6 links.

Rear sprocket 48 teeth or 24 teeth for a 180 wrap.

Add the sprockets and runs together and you get 8.5 + 89.6 + 24 = 122.1 links. I usually add two links to my calculation for ordering purposes and then fit and cut it on the bike.

Earl

Originally posted by crag antler
                Thanks earl.
                Is there a formula for figuring out chain length
                Last edited by earlfor; 03-04-2006, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                  I found an online site at one time that would compute it for you, but I found in practice that it did not account for the fact that the swingarm pivoting through its arc can change the chain length required by about two links, so it was not accurate enough (in my estimation) to rely on. I used it one time, found on assembly the chain was 2 links short after I had cut it and had to rivet two links back on. HUMBUG!! :-)
                  Sprocket and Chain Optimizer provides a calculator for chain and sprocket sizes. Is this the one that wasn't accurate enough? It might still be useful for a cross check to help prevent a computation error.

Comment

The web page isnt the same as I remember. Web pages can be changed though. (someone told me that) LOL It could be as the word "optimizer" rings a bell, but bottom line is, I'm not sure. I just checked my example numbers against the optimizer results and the conclusion is the same, so it is certaninly accurate enough to order a length of chain. I still would not cut the chain without fitting it to the bike. LOL Hell, I dont even trust my own numbers enough to cut the chain without fitting it. eheh

Earl

Originally posted by Boondocks
                    Sprocket and Chain Optimizer provides a calculator for chain and sprocket sizes. Is this the one that wasn't accurate enough? It might still be useful for a cross check to help prevent a computation error.

Comment

Earl,
                      You are the man!!

I did my 1000S a few years ago, it was in here somewhere, on the old forum.

I went with a DID chain,sealed o-ring type.
                      I did use 124 links, an took a few off, I don't remember how many.
                      As to the washers on the front sprocket, I went to the local hardware store, found some that were the rifgt diameter and placed one on the inside of the sprocket and one on the outside of the sprocket.
                      eyeballed it, hand spun the rear wheel, nothing hit or was close to making contact. I had the bike on the lift, front wheel locked, up on the center stand, fired it up, ran 2-3 gears no contact.
                      Don't try this at home unless you have a mechanic lift that locks down the front wheel and someone else to hit the cut off button, just in case.
                      I've got over 10,000 miles on it no problems.

I could notice the weight difference and it seemed to hookup better.
                      Might be all in my mind, but it works well.

there are more options for this size chain and as stated with technology,
                      the newer chains have more strenght. Not that our GS' put out
                      Busa type of power, it's nice to have the reserve.
                      Keith
                      -------------------------------------------
                      1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                      2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Well Earl, Keith beat me to it.

You are the man\\/ \\/ \\/

Many thanks
                        Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                        2000 Kawasaki Concours
                        Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Y'all are certainly welcome. eheheheh

Earl

Originally posted by crag antler
                          Well Earl, Keith beat me to it.

You are the man\\/ \\/ \\/

Many thanks

Comment

Yes there is a wieght differance, but the main differance is tensile stregth. The 630 chain has a pin diameter of .234 giving it an average of 8500 lbs. The 530 chain has a .214 pin diameter giving it an average of 6600 lbs. You need to find a 530 oring chain or 520 oring chain that has an average tensile strength of at least 8500 lbs. I am converting my bike from 630 to 520 oring made by Diamond Chain. It has an average tensile stregth of 9300 lbs.

Comment

Regina makes a really strong 520 chain too.

Comment

Working...
                              X