Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rather loud valve clatter, GS650 G

All,

Riding my GS650 G to work this morning I could hear a loud valve(?) clatter between 2nd and 3rd starting at about 5k RMP. I have never checked the tapet clearance before because the bike is new to me. Could that be what is making the noise or is it the gears? Any ideas. Thanks in advance.

R/ Bill

When you first start the bike and it is warmed up enough to idle, put your ear to the valve cover end. If its excessive valve clearnaces, it will sound like a demented elf machine gunning a tin can in there. LOL It will be REAL obvious that that is where the sound is coming from. At 5k rpm, the transmission gears would be under load, I doubt there could be enough play for them to clatter.

Earl

Originally posted by blynn
    All,

Riding my GS650 G to work this morning I could hear a loud valve(?) clatter between 2nd and 3rd starting at about 5k RMP. I have never checked the tapet clearance before because the bike is new to me. Could that be what is making the noise or is it the gears? Any ideas. Thanks in advance.

R/ Bill
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Make sure the cam covers are not loose, if they rattle at speed they sound like bad valves until they fall off. Ask me how I know.

Generally look for loose engine mounts or other items that could be rattling against metal. Does it do it in the garage if you crank up the revs?
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

either way I need to uncover the cam

Thanks for the advice. In the garage the engine seems quiet enough but I don't typically hit 5K there, neighbors and all, you know. I'll take the cover off and have a look at the cam shaft retainers and test the tappet clearances.
        I'll post here again this weekend to let you know what I find.

R/ Bill

Comment

could be the cam chain tensioner too? these get dirty and stuck sometimes...

Comment

Cracked the cover right after work today

I Used a gauge to check the clearances under each cam. They were as follows:

1E < 0.102mm, 1I < 0.051mm
            2E < 0.051mm, 2I < 0.051mm
            3E < 0.051mm, 3I < 0.051mm
            4E < 0.102mm, 4I < 0.051mm

The gauge I have only has 0.051, 0.076, 0.102 thicknesses. Anyway, the manual calls for 0.030mm - 0.080mm. Does anyone know if the two clearances on 1E and 4E would be noise makers at around 4.5k RMP?

Also, The chin tensionare is realy grubby dirty. Since I am looking for the clatter at this rpm I'm certainly willing to take your suggestion an clean the tensioner. Thank.

R/ Bill

Comment

running engine, put ear to the valves

All,

I am convinced now. The clatter sound I hear is not from the valves. After starting the engine and at all PRMs (hot and cold) I took an up-close listen to the valve covers. I can detect a slight tick sound from near the 1E and slightly louder tick near 4E but I had to get real close to hear it. The others have no sound at all and from the saddle the engine sound great.
              The clatter I hear (sometimes) just before shifting to 3rd is probably the chain tensioner. I'll pull the tensioner next...

R/ Bill

Comment

Working...
              X