No announcement yet.

weird electrical problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i woke up this morning and turned on the ignition and nothing works, at all, not even nuetral anymore, am i looking at a new rr and stator because if i am i read some where on these forums that someone replaced their rr with an industrial one. does anyone know about that?

Comment

update, the gear indicator bulbs work and the nuetral light works but nothing else works, i havent had a chance to check the rr yet but am still wondering if anyone knows where to get an industrial one.

Comment

hello???

Comment

Ice, it is my guess that you have connection problems...could be poor grounds, could be that your fuse box needs to be cleaned. Also, I have seen fuses that appear to be good when you do a visual inspection but are actually in bad shape.

1. Clean all your connections.
          2. Clean all your grounds.
          3. Pull the fuse box off and clean it.
          4. Replace your fuses. They are not that expensive.

As far as an industrial R/R Electrex makes the best that I know of.

Hap

Comment

If you want an industrial regulator phone up an electronics supplier and tell them you've got about 20Volts DC at 30Amps and you want to step it down to 14.1Volts. I've included a bit of safety margin in the first two numbers but the higher the rating for the regulator the better. I don't know if recitifiers are available prebuilt. I kind of doubt it. If they are you need one that can handle about 120Volts coming from a 3 winding alternator. It should be able to convert this to around 14-20Volts DC. I'm not too sure if you would need to add capacitors to the circuit to absorb spikes...the battery may have this capability.

Steve

try www.digikey.com for parts if you want to make it yourself. I've also heard that there are schematics on the internet so that you can make your own RR for cheap but I couldn't find them.

Comment

i checked the rr and it seems fine, i get good continuity everywhere except a to e is about 5 ohms. can someone tell me what the pick up coil is and where i can find it.

Comment

Originally posted by ice109
                i checked the rr and it seems fine, i get good continuity everywhere except a to e is about 5 ohms. can someone tell me what the pick up coil is and where i can find it.
                Hi Ice,

If you are serious about this,

The pick up coil is part of the ignition low Voltage circuit. Like points in older days.

Do you have an oscilloscope? and the knowledge to use it?

If yes, I can give some more tips.

Comment

The pickups are under the right hand engine cover. I'm a 4th year electrical engineering student and can not get a proper resistance reading from them so don't be alarmed unless you have an infinite resistance (or perhaps no resistance at all)...the bike still works.

Bikebandit.com has great schematics for bikes if you are ever in a pinch during the middle of the night. If your bike isn't listed just look up the same years 1100, the 4 cylinders are all the same for parts locations.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by :"ice"
                    i checked the rr and it seems fine, i get good continuity everywhere except a to e is about 5 ohms.
                    You should be getting 50-70 ohms probing A & E.

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
                      The pickups are under the right hand engine cover. I'm a 4th year electrical engineering student and can not get a proper resistance reading from them so don't be alarmed unless you have an infinite resistance (or perhaps no resistance at all)...the bike still works.

Bikebandit.com has great schematics for bikes if you are ever in a pinch during the middle of the night. If your bike isn't listed just look up the same years 1100, the 4 cylinders are all the same for parts locations.

Steve
                      Hi Steve,

You still have to measure the pick up coils signal, if you want to know if they are working, as they should, and the best way to do that is to use an oscilloscope.

Old goat analog technique.

Comment

With Nortel laying off 50,000 employees in town I can pick up scopes with hundreds of channels for 20% of what they paid for it new two years ago. Spectrum and Network analzyers and everything else for next to nothing...I wish I was starting a business. If it were General Motors they would have everything destroyed so that their competitors wouldn't get a leg up.

Steve

Comment

my physics professor has an osciliscope, my pick ups are routed directly into the small connector of the ignitor except i have 4 wires going into the small one and not three like it says i should. i know i should be getting 50-70 ohms from a and e but i get 5 ohms, does that mean it's broken?

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
                            With Nortel laying off 50,000 employees in town I can pick up scopes with hundreds of channels for 20% of what they paid for it new two years ago. Spectrum and Network analzyers and everything else for next to nothing...I wish I was starting a business. If it were General Motors they would have everything destroyed so that their competitors wouldn't get a leg up.

Steve
                            You don't need more than one channel for a Suzi, and no more than max. as a couple of hundred Hertz (12.500 rpm absolute max.).

It's only a question of measuring the low voltage pulse at the ignition coil to see if the pick up coils is working as it should.

If you measure as the the starter revs. you don't need more than a couple of Herz.

Comment

Originally posted by ice109
                              my physics professor has an osciliscope, my pick ups are routed directly into the small connector of the ignitor except i have 4 wires going into the small one and not three like it says i should. i know i should be getting 50-70 ohms from a and e but i get 5 ohms, does that mean it's broken?
                              So, you go for the scope test?

Comment

yea sure but not till monday cuz thats when i have class, i need to know about that other stuff, whether it's normal.

Comment

Working...
                                X