Painting over chrome?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painting over chrome?

I have been doing some thinking lately (always dangerous) and am trying to decide what to do with my engine guards. They are exactly what I like in terms of size and shape, but are not looking their best. One of them is starting to have the crome peel, and the other has a few little ticks of rust showing.

I have been thinking of either getting them re chromed (big bucks) or painting them black (I have some good quality painting gear at my disposal and have decent painting ability).

What would be required to prep the chrome so that the paint will stay and not flake off or peel?

What kind of paint would be best?

Any other thoughts?

A good 2 part epoxy primer and the paint of you're choice.
    PPG Dupont and Basf all make a good epoxy primer.
    The part # in RM (Basf) is EP789. PA 897 is the hardner.
    PM me.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-02-2006, 09:52 PM.

Comment

If its good quality chrome (OEM or similar) you should be able to just scuff it up really well and go for it. Another option would be media blasting or sandblasting, that should take most of the plate off and you can treat it like bare metal.

Comment

blasting chrome

I have a Polaris Sportsman 700 limited edition and it came with chrome wheels and racks. It wasn't long and they started to rust, so I sandblasted them. Then my brother's follow employee powder coated them. Good job they looked great, but now that they have been rock chipped and such the coating flakes off. Not bad though and since you won't be off roading, you'll probably be fine.

Good luck,

Gary the Toymechanic

Comment

What price were you quoted for re-chroming them? Was the chrome shop going to do all the prep work or where you?

Originally posted by JHawkins
          I have been doing some thinking lately (always dangerous) and am trying to decide what to do with my engine guards. They are exactly what I like in terms of size and shape, but are not looking their best. One of them is starting to have the crome peel, and the other has a few little ticks of rust showing.

I have been thinking of either getting them re chromed (big bucks) or painting them black (I have some good quality painting gear at my disposal and have decent painting ability).

What would be required to prep the chrome so that the paint will stay and not flake off or peel?

What kind of paint would be best?

Any other thoughts?

Comment

ive painted several of my chrome pieces on my bike. I just sand it real nice so its not shiney and spray it (ive been painting everything with matte black rustoleum)

Comment

Originally posted by JayH
              What price were you quoted for re-chroming them? Was the chrome shop going to do all the prep work or where you?
              Theres nothing much close to me, the place I would likely send it does a great job, but are not cheap, and I would have to ship it. a quart of paint and some primer would be less and it would give me a chance to repaint the side panels and a possibly the tank.

Comment

Working...
              X