Info on by passing monitor on GS 1150 EF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Info on by passing monitor on GS 1150 EF

There was an article on the old GS Resources site previously describing in detail how to by pass the electrical monitor on a GS1150 to rewire it out and solder the wires so everything will work properly, but i can't find that tip since the site has changed! Does anyone know where this tip is now located on this site I have looked everywhere. Or if you have the knowledge of which wires to solder together to eliminate the monitor let me know please. It would save me alot of time figuring it out on my own.

Here ya go....enjoy:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...p/t-67151.html

Comment

monitor rewire

Thank You for pointing the way to the article.

Comment

Isolation of GS1150 monitor

After a search, I found this excellent article in the archives.

My tail light wasn't working and left indicator worked intermittently. The bike was due for it's next warrant of fitness, so it needed some action.

After continuity checks, I established that the monitor was faulty. The replacement isn't expensive, so I'm buying one so I can to replace it at a later date.

After studying the instructions above,I decided to isolate the monitor, but do it in a way that it can be reversed at a later date. This would allow me to keep the bike in original condition.

Instead of splicing the wires on the ignition side of the 9 and 8 pin plugs, I cut the wires off right next to the monitor and wound back the insulation tape to trace back the wires. When tracing the wires, I found that the ones that needed slicing were in fact looping together on the monitor plugs, and that the additional wires could be removed by extracting the appropriate pins.
        The only wire that needed splicing was the brown tail light wire onto the yellow and white one from the handle bar (light/indicator switch) loom.

If I do ever replace the relay/ monitor, I just need to pull the two plugs off and re-fit the monitor plugs. The only reversal is the sliced tail light wire will need to be removed.

I just thought that some other 1150 owners might like to tackle this fix some time in the future.
        Last edited by 49er; 07-31-2009, 03:50 PM. Reason: Correction to switch ID
        :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
        GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
        GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
        GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
        http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Working...
        X