valve shim help? how far to sick in feeler guage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

valve shim help? how far to sick in feeler guage

I measured all my shims, and the top shims were all 2.70 on the exaust side they were all tight at 0.038 and on the intake valve the shims were all 2.75 and were tight with the feeler guage at 0.038. on the intake shims there was only one that past the guage at 0.038 and on the exaust valve there was two that past the 0.038 feeler guage
    i dont know if anyone has ever changed them but i was wondering what sizes i would need and were i can get the cheapest shims. thanks
    Last edited by odl777; 03-06-2006, 12:36 AM.

All the way through until you get to where the next size will not go through.
    If .005 goes through, you know the gap is greater than .005 and if .006 will not go through, you know the gap is less than .006

Be sure to have the lobes in the correct timing position. There are two crankshaft positions that each allow checking of 1/2 the valves.

Earl

Originally posted by odl777
    i was going to check clearences on shims but need to know how far to stick in my feeler guage. like all the way under or just under the side thanks.
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

thanks but does the feeler gauge go just on the side or all the way under neath the cam lope? It slid in fine on the side on the biggest it can, but do i have to slide it completly under the lope like inbetween th shim and the bering or lope whatever its called.

Comment

The feeler guage must go between the cam lobe and the shim.

Earl

Originally posted by odl777
        thanks but does the feeler gauge go just on the side or all the way under neath the cam lope? It slid in fine on the side on the biggest it can, but do i have to slide it completly under the lope like inbetween th shim and the bering or lope whatever its called.
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

thanks for the help.

Comment

Go-No go feeler gauges

Cal-Van sells feeler gauges that are go/no go. In other words, they have a thou ground off a .700 length of the end. So a 6 thou gauge has a 5 thou end. These aere MUCH easier to use on almost anything, IMHO. less is left to chance or "feel" I think I paid $9 for mine, and it was the best precision-tool investment I ever made.

Comment

Working...
            X