No announcement yet.

1980 GS850g starting trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would first verify there is fuel in the float bowls. This eliminates a problem upstream of your carbs. You should be able to remove the bolt at the bottom of one of the carbs and let the gas run out. Should be around 1-2 ounces.

If there's adequate gas in the float bowls, then you are looking at plugged circuits in your carbs or somehow the carbs were put together incorrectly. The mention of 'shelack' is disturbing - it's old gas that has solidified and settled in the circuits. To be honest, I think you will need to break down the carbs individually and really clean them out. Carb cleaner and compressed air work wonders.

Comment

Originally posted by dcombee
      well your right, guess I was just getting frustrated. i do think the somewhat clogged petcock filter has something to do with the slight hesitation.The plugs are dry, I know the problem is that it is not gettting gas. I set my screws to 1 1/2 turns and still nothing. I did not separate the carbs when I cleaned them. what is clogged that would keep it from getting gas on start up. thanks
      Yes, you are having a fuel starvation problem which you are going to fix it sounds like but also, The carbs need to be seperated to clean the choke circuit. Cleaning them without seperating them will usually ruin any O Ring that you have not removed yet. You need to pull the choke assembly out of each carb body and make sure you can blow cleaner thru the choke assembly and come out of the brass tube that hangs down from the carb body. That brass tube goes into a cavity in the float bowl, you need to be able to blow cleaner thru that hole where the brass tube lives and have it come out inside the bowl where it usually enters the cavity. If this cavity is clean the cleaner will come out with force, protect your eyes. If these are not clean and free flowing the choke circuit will not work. Another reason to seperate the carbs is that all conecting T's that have a replaceable O Ring should have them replaced along with float valve O Rings. Do a search for cycle O rings here, Robert Barr sells a complete kit of O rings for a pittance and you will need it. Another thing to check, that most people miss is the needle jet. When you remove the main jet notice the washer which sits under there. Remove the washer, insert a screw that fits the threads and tap it to remove it. Note the aligning pin, it will only go back in one way. There are little holes in the needle jet, make sure they are clean. When you assemble everything, back the idle screw out till it no longer moves the throttle assembly then slowly screw it back in till you feel resistance and notice the throttle assemble starting to move again. You just need to move it a little so it will start, then adjust it more precisely once it's running. Like previously mentioned, for a cold start up, pull choke fully, do not turn the throttle any amount at all, and hit the starter, it should fire up if you have gas in the bowls. To check your petcock, point the fuel lever straight down and hook a line to the vacuum port on the petcock, ( the smaller fitting) and carefully suck on the hose, if you can't create a vacuum and have it hold to your tongue the petcock needs replaced, If you get gas thru that vacuum line the petcock needs replaced. If your checking the petcock and it's hooked to the carbs, remove the drain screws one at a time and you should gas from all of them. Keep us informed of your progress.

Comment

These pics should help. Sorry they are so big. If any one of the ports pictured is not perfectly clean, it will effect the performance of the carbs.

Last edited by Guest; 03-09-2006, 07:41 AM.

Comment

BOb, thanks for the info and pics, I will will hopefuly have time to pull the carbs and get started on taking them apart today. thanks again, I will let you know what happens. Derek

Comment

dipping them in berryman's, the gallon can, is a great way to really get it all out of there, but contact robert barr for sure before you do this, as you will inevitably break an oring in the dissassembly.

good luck

Comment

its alive

Thanks for all the help guys. The passage in the bowls that allows feul to ender the brass pipes were all clogged, very clogged. Cleaned them out, and the needle jet--Started right up and purs like, well like a GS.
              Thanks again,
              Derek

Comment

Great job, now be careful and have a ball.

Comment

Working...
                X