Wat valve shim sizes do i need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wat valve shim sizes do i need?

How do i calculate what size of shims i need.

I measured all my shims, and the top shims were all 2.70 on the exaust side they were all tight at 0.038 and on the intake valve the shims were all 2.75 and were tight with the feeler guage at 0.038. on the intake shims there was only one that past the guage at 0.038 and on the exaust valve there was two that past the 0.038 feeler guage
    i dont know if anyone has ever changed them but i was wondering what sizes i would need and were i can get the cheapest shims. thanks
    Last edited by odl777; 03-06-2006, 12:34 PM.

The shims come in .05 increments. So you need to be at least that far out of spec before you swap. That's why the adjustment range is .05. For those > .038 clearance, you need to make sure you are > .080 or you will be too tight with the next larger shim.

Comment

so i can swap my 2.70 were my 2.75 were and buy some 2.65 to replacewere my 2.70 wer right. i couldnt get a .038 into most of the tappets thats why i figure just .05 down will probly put me in spec. is this okay? thanks

Comment

If most of my clearances were at .038 or less, I would buy a feeler gauge with a .030 blade. You may find clearances are all in spec and right where you want them - at .030.

I've heard Snap-On makes such a guage and I've seen others online. The money you spend on it would probably be made up by not having to exchange or buy as many shims.

So to answer your question, no I don't think dropping a .05 smaller shim in a .038 clearance is a good idea without knowing the exact clearance.
        Last edited by Guest; 03-06-2006, 05:54 PM.

Comment

well i tried the feller guage in a 0.02 something lower than a 0.03 on alot of the buckets and they were still to tight. i dont think anyone has ever changed the shims in my bike. i want the shims to be closer to 0.08 so do you think i should just through some 2.65 shims in the ones that are too tight. thanks for the help i appreciate it.

Comment

I have never heard of a feeler gauge below .030 MM. And these are hard to find. Are you talking metric? If you indeed have such a gauge, than of course the next shim size down would be appropriate.

Comment

it is a metric and in inches it has many gauges, thinner than paper my brother picked it up some were. you almost have to be carful there isnt 2 of the guages stuck togeather. thanks for all your help i wasnt getting any replies there for a while. thanks again. the guage goes so low i cant even see the blade like a 0.0001. just kidding

p.s by any chance do you have any shims in 2.65. thanks

Comment

I do, but they are part of my toolkit.

Take the shims you want to trade to your nearest Suzuki dealer and he will exchange them for you. Call first to verify he has the sizes you want. They may charge $2-3 bucks each for the exchange.

I'm still not convinced you have a .020MM gauge. Who is the manufacturer? I'd like to get one.

Ace.

Comment

its more like .024 or something. i am almost positive it went that low ill check tonight to verify maybe i just wasnt measuring things wrong. thanks again.

Comment

You're welcome, and good luck with the valve adjustment.

Comment

Working...
                    X