clutch cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch cable

hello i have a 1978 gs1000 last year i broke 2 clutch cables right at the hand lever any ideals what is causing this?

How hard is it to pull in your clutch?
    Last edited by chef1366; 03-06-2006, 02:29 PM.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

it's not hard to pull.

Comment

Sounds like there is an obstruction somewhere from the adjustment to the lever. Check for metal burrs in the adjuster hole or rubbing in the lever. Is the cable frayed or snapped?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Most likely, lack of lube on the cable, too sharp a bend at the handlebars and too much tension.

Earl

Originally posted by Stone_Breaker
          hello i have a 1978 gs1000 last year i broke 2 clutch cables right at the hand lever any ideals what is causing this?
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

2 in a year sounds like a Kink in the way the cable is run. Sharp bend of some sorts.

Lube is important too. Don't ask me how I know this.

Oh, if it's breaking right at the handle/lever - then I figure there must be some sharp edge or something fraying the cable.

Comment

it fraied and broke right at the lead piece by the lever both times. i don't see any thing there for it to rub against there . but i guess i should lube it when i put a new chable on this time. if that doesn't do it i don't know what to do. has any one else had this trouble?

Comment

i'm thinking of putting new clutch disk in should i take the springs and have them checked ?

Comment

Replace the springs, they are inexpensive. I got a good deal on clutch discs and springs from dennis kirk.

Comment

I had broke 2 clutch cable in 2 years until when installing the next cable I kept an eye on the adjusting rod by the lever.
                    Make sure when you pull the lever in that the slot is pointing toward you,that none of the cable is binding there.
                    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                    2000 Kawasaki Concours
                    Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Working...
                    X