83 Gs850g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 Gs850g

My 850 will run ok.. not great..just ok.. at start with choke on, I can get it to sit at 2000. after a few minutes to warm up, I can take the choke off and it will sit at 2000 for a few minutes. then down to 1500 for a few minutes..and so on. If I throttle it, it responds instantly. My main problem is a fuel leak to what seems to be behind the #1 carb. It's not massive or constant just a drop about every minute. I am pretty much a greenhorn on this, especially when it comes to carbs. I can't seem to find this leak to save me..Any suggestions??[-o<

You need to see exactly where the leak is originating from. Is it coming from the carb itself, or the plumbing to the carbs or running down from the petcock? All fuel leaks are bad, but the origin makes them more or less so.

Comment

I had the same problem when i got my 1980 850G. The float needles were sticking in two of the carbs.

A proper carb cleaning may solve the problem. Also check the fuel lines (as suggested) for leaks while the carbs are off. If they're cracked or hardend, replace them. Also make sure all hose clamps are properly secured.

hope this helps,
      dave

Comment

do you have two vent lines (tubing just hanging free from between 1&2 or 3&4? it may be overflowing there from a stuck float valve if not.

it could be from the junction of 1&2, there is a connecting tube toward the rear of the bike, it may be hard to identify, but there is a carb clean-up series linked on the cover of the gsresources that gives great detail of our carbs...

robert barr has all the orings compiled and sorted and sized and everything for a very reasonable price, try searching members...

good luck!!

Comment

Check out these two links. Even a novice can get through just about any job with this site and the search feature.

1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
          X