Sync tool/air adj all 4 carbs-homemade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sync tool/air adj all 4 carbs-homemade?

Hello. I am kind'a new & really enjoy your site! I am without many funds & have to make a lot of allowances & do most all work myself. I love my bike, & don't know what I'd do w/o it..Don't laugh at this request, but; I know I will have to eventually make adjustments & syncs, on my '79 GS750L! The bike has only 14,000 miles on it & I have put a 1,000 on it since I bought it last Nov. It's in good condition. I checked out the price on the Mercury Manometer air adjustment gauge, for adjusting the carbs in sync! I was wondering if anybody has came up with a good way to make a gauge that would do the necessary adjustments needed to sync all carbs? They are a little high in price, & I was wondering if it was possible to manufacture one, under the cost of buying one? If it's even possible? Any help will be appreciated fully! You people have already helped me beyond what I could've done on my own! Thank you for all your help!!!

I made a homemade one using clear vinyl tubing, transmission fluid and various fittings. I am waiting for the weather to get warmer (no garage) to try it out. I'II post pictures and a summary of the results if it works or not. Thanks Ted

Comment

Put your approximate location under your profile and maybe a member nearby would help you out and either let you borrow theirs or sync them with you. If your near wilmington delaware you can do it at my house.
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I have seen the Low-tech/low-cost homemade instrument, described at a very good homepage: http://ezwebz.com/gs-classic/index1.htm
        The bad news: It is in german 8-[

If you chose "download" (that's german for "download":-D ), you could download a nice description called: Vergaser-Synchronisationsmanometer
        German or not - it has some very nice pictures.

The principle of this device, is to balance two cylinders against each other, and by using one as a reference, you can work your way through all cylinders.
        So you don't know the absolute vacuum, but the relative between the cylinders - it should be just as well.

I have NOT tried it myself!!

Although my native language is Danish, i do know a little german too. So I could help with a bit of translation if you are curious enough - or maybe we have a genuine german in the forum who could help ?

Poulsen
        77 GS550B

Comment

More power to the people, I say. :-D

If anyone on the forum can get a home-made setup to work, let's spread the word. Forunately I've got access to a set of the mercury gauges.

Actually, if you could get hold of some mercury (I once got half a bottle for free from an industrial chemical factory), you could easily cobble up your own -- the principle is very straightforward.

But you cannot use any metal to make the outfit -- aside from plastics and glass, mercury likes to react with just about anything it touches... including human flesh and DNA...

Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by tfb

But you cannot use any metal to make the outfit -- aside from plastics and glass, mercury likes to react with just about anything it touches... including human flesh and DNA...

Mike.

What do you actually mean by react? What happens when it comes into contact with your skin or DNA?

If you live in the St. louis area I have one I'll help you sync them!

Comment

Originally posted by toymechanic.
              What do you actually mean by react? What happens when it comes into contact with your skin or DNA?!
              You start growing extra legs and such.....

Comment

Take a look at the home made sync. tool here :

Like Knotzilla, I am also a cheapskate !
                I made my sync tool from 2 metres of clear tubing and about 20 mls of EP90 gear oil. I simply secured the tubing into a "U" shape onto a plank of wood using cable clips and used a small funnel to fill the tubing with the oil (about 30 cms height).
                I cut a drinking straw to fit the tubing onto the carb and used some "Bluetak" to seal it !
                It does work, but you need to be VERY careful, as the oil will shoot up one side of the tubing if the carbs are too far out of sync. You need to be quick on the cut-out switch or else you will find the oil disappears into one of the carbs (an assistant is useful here) !

Check each of the adjustable carbs (from the left side - 1, 2 and 4) against number 3 carb and then repeat, as any adjustment will affect all the other carbs. I do the first check at a fast tickover (about 1500rpm) and then repeat at about 2500rpm (the readings shouldnt change much).
                The objective is to get the oil heights equal (within about a cm is good enough).
                With a bit of practice, you should be able to do it all in 20 minutes or so.
                The biggest problem I found is getting rid of air bubbles in the oil (it helps if you can warm it up a little beforehand eg put the tubing against a radiator for a few minutes).
                And do not forget to keep the synch screws in the carbs which are NOT being checked as you will not get accurate readings if these are left off.

Comment

What do you actually mean by react? What happens when it comes into contact with your skin or DNA?
                  Hmm, yes I did put that rather sloppily, come to think of it. Basically I was saying, You don't want to handle the stuff. Short-term contact on the skin isn't a major threat; but we are dealing with a heavy metal here that, once it's in your system, it's basically with you for the long term. And to think that people used to swallow the stuff as a medicine...

Breathing in the vapour (takes a big dose, though; or long term exposure to low dose) is one effective way to get a text-book case of mercury poisoning (rashes, bleeding gums, nausea, vomiting, etc.). The other main way is through eating foods (eg. fish) that contain high levels of organic mercury compounds, too.

If you read any fact sheet (as opposed to the abundance of websites out there crusading against amalgam tooth fillings) put out by chemical companies, you'll get the picture. Handle with care!

The reason mercury is good to use in our carb. balancer gauges is because it's so heavy, and is far less likely to get sucked into the inlet manifolds than if you use something lighter, such as oil.

Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by POULSEN
                    I have seen the Low-tech/low-cost homemade instrument, described at a very good homepage: http://ezwebz.com/gs-classic/index1.htm
                    The bad news: It is in german 8-[

If you chose "download" (that's german for "download":-D ), you could download a nice description called: Vergaser-Synchronisationsmanometer
                    German or not - it has some very nice pictures.

The principle of this device, is to balance two cylinders against each other, and by using one as a reference, you can work your way through all cylinders.
                    So you don't know the absolute vacuum, but the relative between the cylinders - it should be just as well.

I have NOT tried it myself!!

Although my native language is Danish, i do know a little german too. So I could help with a bit of translation if you are curious enough - or maybe we have a genuine german in the forum who could help ?

Poulsen
                    If you download the Google toolbar into your web browser it will give you a nice search window at all times and also allow you to right-click on a website and select 'Translate Page into English'. This works better for some languages than others but in this particular case it seems to have worked pretty well. Here's some text from the home page:

Welcomely with Michaels Gs Classic!

The German-language Website for lovers of the early Suzuki of gs motorcycles:
                    Everything over history, models and technology. In addition still Schraubertipps, information about drivers and its Suzis, current from the scene and much more.
                    Whether for restoration, motorcycling participates or for the care from classical SUZUKI gs motorcycles and contacts to Gleichgesinnten, here for each something.
                    More over this Website experience you here .
                    Otherwise I wish you much fun with the Stoebern.
                    Of you
                    Michael

Superopportunity for Katana friends!
                    Alexandre of Katana France created a poster, which shows all Katanas, which from the famous target descends ED2.
                    Here you find all GSX 750, 1000 and 1100 S, which were ever built.
                    And with Alexandre can their it buy ...
                    IBA# 24077
                    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

mercury poisoning

It's the vapors you want to avoid, touching the metal itself is not so bad unless done a lot. Symptoms of vapor inhalation include chills, metallic taste, mouth sores, swollen gums, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, headache, weakness, confusion, shortness of breath, cough, chest tightness, bronchitis, pneumonia and kidney damage.

complete details here

That said, after pondering the shop-made alternatives I think I will just a Motion Pro mercury balancer come spring. The econo model is only $64 CDN at a local dealer, so about $55 US.

Comment

If you live in the St. louis area I have one I'll help you sync them!
                        Mecury is absorbed right into the skin and collects in bad places like your spine and brain. If mercury drips on the floor it vaporizes easily and poisons the air. Once absorbed the only way to get it out is to try and sweat it through your pores, not always successful. Mercury poisoning causes brain damage.

Don't play around with that stuff. It is liquid metal and very dangerous. Is saving a few dollars on a carb sync tool worth risking your health? I wrap my tester in a plastic bag and keep it in the garage. I discard the bag when i use it, shopping bags are cheap.
                        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Responce to Manometer for carbs adjust!

Thanks for all who gave me so much info on this 'lil device! I can use it all! And wish I was in the neighborhood of some of you that offered to either do my adjustments or loan me the meter. But I am afraid I am not even close to any of you! I am in Ventura, California! Between Los Angles & Santa Barbara. After reading from Poulsen, in one of the poles, that I should put down where my home town is, by where my name is on the site, so people could offer some help, if any was offered. By anybody that may be close to me; I looked everywhere in my profile, & couldn't find where to do it at! I emailed the Administrator, for instructions of where & how to add my home town. No word as of this posting! Guess he's busy! Anyway, the "toymechanic' offered to help out too, but he's in St. Louis. By the way, I am a Ram's fan, always have been-thanks for the offer! Also, all the places I can view homemade meters, is a big help from you people, just converting to English measuring units will be a slight problem! I 'll find out how later! Since needing the meter, I finally went & got the last thing of my bad petcock, I had one I had got from another member, but have been waiting on the "O" ring that it uses for the gasket to the tank. Had it last night in my bag, when from going to get it, I stopped by my psychiatrist to pick my med's, knowing it'd be awhile till the bike was running again, while I fixed the petcock, it caught on fire & burned some of the rubber round things that go from the carbs to the air box! Now I am really bad off! It burned for awhile, & nobody would help me get it out for a long time. Finally a fire extinguisher was brought & I put it out! My seat partly got burnt & the boot on the new clutch cable I put on. I don't really know what all went up, I'm so upset now, I am afraid to go out & look! Thank all of you for your help! I will be back w/more questions soon! I have to go cry now, as I love my bike!! Thank you. Ron..

Comment

Ever see Terminator 2?
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Home Made Vacuum Gauge Synchronizer

Try this link: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=986

Comment

Working...
                              X