carb install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb install

Gosh, I hate to re and re my carbs. Just did my two 1100's 1981 and 1982. Has anyone got an easy way???
    Replaced all the boots already.

Getting the twin carbs off my bike is a wrestling match. Can't imagine what a pain four of 'em would be. One big reason I prefer singles and twins to four-bangers. I've heard guys wonder why designers don't do a single carb (or throttle body) with a manifold for the non-race-replica bikes. Would have improved mid-range torque and economy. Lots of us don't want to go 120mph when we ride. Of course I hear the rest of you saying, "boring..." Then there's the problem of getting uniform mixture in all four cylinders. But it can't be any more difficult than dialing in four carbs...

Comment

Pulling the carbs off takes a bit of oompf. The rack of four carbs on my GS1100GL wasn't too horrible to work with, though. Just grab the whole rack and pull and twist and all. Putting them back on also takes some strength, but a thin coat of motor oil on the metal lets them slide in a bit easier. Better than having air leaks, i suppose...

Comment

I've heard motor oil is hard on the rubber over time. Use Silicon spray lube when re-installing. The stuff is great.

Comment

On the 1000 and 1100 the book tells you to remove the intake pipe on number 4 cylinder to allow more room to remove carbs.
          I found replacing them that its easrier to replace all rubber intakes both from the airbox and to the engine. Another site people suggest pouring boiling water over them to soften them, silicone spray etc.
          Beware if you go the route of changing the rubbers. GS1000's airbox to carb rubbers are integral to the airbox so you have to buy a complete air box which is expensive.

Suzuki mad
          It's warmed up......now it's raining
          1981 GS1000E
          1983 GSX1100ESD

Comment

Working...
          X