the 78 GS550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the 78 GS550

On this page there are 3 owners of 1978 GS550's puzzling over what it takes to make them perform properly. The one I have looks axactly like the picture on the one struggling with carb adjustments.

Is this simply chance or is there something about this model that raises questions?

I've owned two these machines in the past (78 and 79) and once they are dialed-in they're great bikes. It just takes time and patience to get them back to that state if they've been neglected for a while.

~Adam

Comment

I would think that most 550's were neglected. They are seen as beginer bikes, not worthy of normal care and service.
      Once you get a 550, it's time to get a 750, 1000, 1100.
      Nobody has any respect for the little 550's.

Comment

BTW, are you swapping forks this week?

Comment

I hope to put the carbs back on, check the timing/points....have the bike perform like a gemand then replace forks, and I have some OEM pipes coming also. i have scheduled Friday off for the event.

Comment

Originally posted by rgierer
            I hope to put the carbs back on, check the timing/points....have the bike perform like a gemand then replace forks, and I have some OEM pipes coming also. i have scheduled Friday off for the event.
            Cool. Let me know if you have any problems with those forks.

Comment

Working...
            X