No announcement yet.

Need a little guidance to get my "new" bike running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ground on the "front" end of the battery box is also notoriously bad.

Comment

Great ideas. Keep 'em coming.

Comment

This bike has been stored on its side stand for the duration. Are there any steps I should take prior to attempting to turn the engine over? Someone told me I should remove the spark plugs and shoot some Marvels Mystery Oil into the cylinders. Any thoughts? What is this stuff?
        Last edited by Guest; 03-14-2006, 05:27 PM.

Comment

"Marvel Mystery Oil can be added to gas or oil. It combats internal motor rust and corrosion, lubricates valves, piston rings, upper cylinder walls, and eliminates valve sticking. Keeps rings free and reduces piston and cylinder wear. Also keeps fuel pump and carburetor parts clean, eliminating the need for frequent adjusting. Marvel Mystery Oil retards formation of power dissipating motor deposits, such as gums, varnish, and sludge". That's the trade lingo speaking. Suffice it to say that it's a pretty good penetrant and lubricant for the insides of engines. Available at nearly any Wal-Mart or auto-parts store. It can't hurt

Comment

Originally posted by smithbm
            This bike has been stored on its side stand for the duration. Are there any steps I should take prior to attempting to turn the engine over? Someone told me I should remove the spark plugs and shoot some Marvels Mystery Oil into the cylinders. Any thoughts? What is this stuff?
            That's a great idea. Usually about a teaspoon or so is enough in each cylinder. I've always just used regular motor oil, but Marvels is a favorite of folks on this site. I use a syringe to just squirt it in there.

You might want to check for spark first. Have a good battery fully charged. Oh, and make sure there is enough oil in the bike.

Comment

Originally posted by mark
              You might want to check for spark first. Have a good battery fully charged. Oh, and make sure there is enough oil in the bike.
              That's definitely part of my startup plan. I just don't want to cause any irreversible damage when I finally do get to start this thing up.

Comment

Working...
              X